Expecting any photo goodies from Santa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, is anyone expecting Santa (or for those older ones that know the truth, family/friends) to bring them any goodies for Christmas?

I want a carbon fiber tripod and ball head, which I won't be getting for Christmas as such but I am being given some money towards it, but I'll be getting online on Boxing Day to hopefully buy in a sale.
    As well as this, I'm considering getting myself a 7D mk I, since the price has dropped following the introduction of the mk II and maybe a little extra will be knocked off on Boxing Day... one can hope!
    Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Re: Expecting any photo goodies from Santa?

I'm not expecting to add anything else to my camera bag this christmas,Software is the only thing i need Photoshop/lightroom? as i have none on my laptop.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

My wants are a little too pricey for Santa...........
      So looks like some cash will be coming my way (hopefully dropped enough hints)
      Regards
      Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
      7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
      24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
        I'm not expecting to add anything else to my camera bag this christmas,Software is the only thing i need Photoshop/lightroom? as i have none on my laptop.

Paul
        Paul I use LR/PS on three different computers on the same license. Work computer, Mac and laptop at games. It allows you to be logged into two devices at the same time if you're with the CC program. When I open the software on the third machine it wants me to log out of the others. It prompts to do this, so it's pretty flexible.

I have loads on my list, but a 300 2.8 won't fit in his bag lol
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
          I have loads on my list, but a 300 2.8 won't fit in his bag lol
          I have a 600 f4 on my list but have the same problem, it won't fit in my bag and as my wife says I already have too many bags, it'll have to wait until I manage to unload one of them.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

one of the daughters is giving me cash ,so i bought myself a nice large backpack just now off of e/bay ,as mines a touch to small for the 1d3 and lens ,job done

Comment

Hi,
              PhotoStory please don't think I am trying to ruin your Xmas wish for a carbon fibre tripod.
              However, I have seen first hand & read two horror stories regard CF pods.
              I have read of one falling over & the ball head smashed away, completely shattering & the user saw their camera bounce along the pavement.
              Another put their camera bag on top of it in the boot of their car & on retrieving the CF pod found it had split one of its legs.
              And I have a friend who's CF pod fell over & did not realise it had suffered a crack until the next time they came to use it when their camera went toppling off & into the river...

On another note a different friend has a bicycle with carbon fibre forks & they had a crack in them from being lightly knocked.
              They sent them off to be checked as it was an expensive bicycle & the Xray, yes an Xray, came back showing a hair line crack!

I too have recently bought a new tripod & ball head, I did so after 6 weeks, yep I took that long as I wanted a certain feature & didn't find straight away the pod I eventually bought. And when I did find it I then searched for the best price.
              Of which I found here;

At £129 inc p+p & English based as well.
              It's barely much heavier than a CF pod & has the ability of holding 7kg & the head 10kg, the sellers site has the kgs wrong but checking the Vanguard site directly confirms these figures.
              But it's the pods ability to go from 0-180 degrees & any degree in between I wanted.
              It comes with a carry bag & a spare quick release plate plus a tool for tightening the plate & the feet screw back to expose spikes.

Pods direct info; http://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/index...1-4-15-88.html
              Heads direct info; http://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/index...-5-23-144.html

Hope this might help...

Comment

After checking out carbon fibre tripods at a photo show I have to agree with retrosi plus they also flex too much and dont seem firm or sturdy and of three I looked the leg lock just didnt lock tight enough and the legs could be pushed down with very little force I'm angler as well and whilst carbon rods can bend and bend if you catch one against a tree say theres a very strong likelyhood that it will crack I've heard some horror stories about carbon tripods and my brothers a mountain biker and its the same story, it didnt instill much confidence in me to purchase one

Gordon

Comment

as we are talking tripods

I've got a Manfrotto 055 CF tripod and its as solid as they come and I have no concerns over putting a heavy body & lens combo on it
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                    I've got a Manfrotto 055 CF tripod and its as solid as they come and I have no concerns over putting a heavy body & lens combo on it
                    +1

My 055 CF tripod has traveled far and wide with me and never let me down.
                    Regards
                    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
                    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

I've been using my CF Giottos a few times every week for over 8 years and not a blemish.

My Christmas "want" and "need" photo lists are 2 completely different things.
                      My mate has just bought an Olympus EM-1.
                      With the 5 axis built-in stabilization, I managed to hand hold a 1 second exposure that resulted in a pin sharp image.
                      Do I want one - YES!!
                      Do I need one - NO!!
                      Same goes for a few other wants and needs.
                      I want the new 16-35 f4L but I don't "need" it as such as I am quite pleased with my 17-40L

What I would like is for Canon to start producing sensors with the quality of Nikon's as I feel they are lagging behind nowadays!!
                      A Nikon body with an EF mount would be rather tasty

That last statement should ruffle a few feathers
                      www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

never had a problem with my KOOD 4 section c/f one ,sturdy as hell the only thing i wish i had different is a fixed plate headstock as i don't need to extend mine up as it goes to 6'6"

also picked my new bag up today ,its a kata BP 502 and its bloody huge ,swallows all my gear with room left over for a 500 f4 if the wife decides to treat me .
                        Last edited by the black fox; 16-12-2014, 19:21.

Comment

mike ,agreed nikon sensors are a bit better ,but the rest of the camera/s tend to let them down especially a 60 year old lens mount design .

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                            mike ,agreed nikon sensors are a bit better ,but the rest of the camera/s tend to let them down especially a 60 year old lens mount design .
                            Couldn't agree more
                            Watched a Tony Northrop video on You Tube earlier about image quality at base ISO settings.
                            Nikon D810 came out tops
                            Canon lagged behind Nikon and Sony
                            The 70D sensor beat the 7D2 for noise at ISO 100 although it would be a different story at higher ISO settings.
                            An interesting video

I have the 6D, 70D and M and I'm delighted with all three
                            I'd love to add the 8-15 and the 24mm TSE to my arsenal so if Santa is reading this
                            www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

I may be wrong only quoting from what i read Mike, Nikon now uses Sony sensor and i am not surprised by his results.

I am having a rescue christmas with my 1dx in for repair and i will be happy if santa just delivers that camera back to me. [emoji45]
                              Last edited by rajjayaraj; 16-12-2014, 20:52. Reason: typo error
                              Raj
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X