In a quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a quandary

Well got me self into a fine kettle. I have the chance to change my camera or buy a new tele- lens and I am
    really in a quandary of what to do, any suggestions would really be appreciated. The story is that my 5D2 as cost
    me over £1000 in repairs this year, new shutter, mirror box and other things and I should probably change
    it..........................................but... ..............................for all its fault I really enjoy using this camera and have
    become somewhat sentimentally attached to it. Both of us have travelled a few miles over the last 4 years in one
    way and another. I could buy a new 5D3 or the new 7D2 but I also need............or rather want a new telephoto lens
    after I sold my canon 400mm. I can not have both but which side of the fence should I climb to. All experience tells
    me to buy new glass. I really like the new Sigma 150 600mm sport. Lots of good reports so far on this lens but if I
    go that way the 5D2 will not auto focus past f5.6. Do I really need auto focus? with my poor old eyes probably yes.
    Everyone loves new gear and a 5d3 would probably be my last good purchase, it would see me out as they say lol.
    Well there it is. Any thought suggestions most welcome. It's a nice quandary to be in I know but one very difficult to resolve.
    Then there is the other thought nagging away. Buy one of those mirror less jobs like the fujix-t1 but I really do like my
    old friend the 5d2. Cheers

Re: In a quandary

After spending 1k on the camera I would struggle to justify buying a new one, had you not spent that then yes I'd be buying the Mkiii without a second thought ...

I like the look of the 150-600 but I'm waiting to see real field tests on the new 100-400 as I've got the 1.4 so effectively similar focal length but maybe cheaper and a better lens ... maybe ;o)
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm with Tigger, after spending 1k on repairs you'd hope that nothing major could go wrong with it now so I'd be looking at a new lens but I wouldnt want to lose auto focus at all lengths past 5.6 with the Sigma, maybe the 100-400 mk II is worth a look

Gordon

Comment

If its a choice between glass and camera, glass should always win

I really like the new Sigma 150 600mm sport. Lots of good reports so far on this lens but if I
        go that way the 5D2 will not auto focus past f5.6

the sigma is a f5 - therefor it will autofocus on any EOS camera, its only if you start adding a teleconverter, even a 1.4, the lens becomes a f7.1 - you lose autofocus.

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks very much guys some valued opinions there. Yes I think experience will win out and I will buy more glass. I will hang on for a little
          while and read up on the the various field tests........................... unless, I get a sudden urge lol Thanks again appreciate your thoughts.

Comment

I would agree with what everyone says. Your 5dmk2 should be pretty much a new camera afterspending £1000 on it I would buy a new lens first.
            1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
            Facebook
            www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

In a quandary

Just a thought. I sold my 5DMKII for 751 pounds to help me finance the purchase of the 7DMKII.

Then went on eBay and got a EF 100-400 for 604 pounds

Tom

Comment

I'd also be tempted to keep your 5D, Trev.
                Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Cheers guys. Yes minds pretty well made up. I like the Sigma 150 600mm sport lens but I'm afraid a bit on the heavy side. I am
                  going back to the Canon 400 5.6 l usm. It's a good lens that's been tried and tested and being an old fart I do like primes, so That will do for me. Thanks again for all the opinions appreciate your time. Have a wonderful Christmas to all and AndyA keep the pics coming I look forwards to
                  your work on flickr.

Comment

having tried the sigma albeit for a hour ,its a stunning piece of kit ,far superior to the tamron ,but i,m holding back till the contemporary version comes out more due to weight issues than anything .its a hell of a lump to carry round even though its well balanced .

Comment

Working...
                    X