options for longer exposures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

options for longer exposures

Hi all I currently have a cokin P filter system and I have an ND8 filter but I sometimes want a longer exposure but don't really want to go higher than f11 at I SO100 what are my options apart from changing my filter system to a Lee filter setup as I can't justify that sort of expense at this time
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Re: options for longer exposures

Hi Paul, not any actual experience of these but I did see this review http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...d-filters-9470 which although limiting you to a screw in filter it might be a solution
    Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew thanks for the link will have a look at those

Flickr
      Facebook

Comment

I've got an ND10 Paul and whilst I've not used it yet its blacker than black and will certainly give you the longer exposures you want
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

You could underexpose your images by increasing the shutter speed and bring them back to a "normal" exposure when editing? Obviously this isn't ideal and you will lose detail. That's the only thing I can think of other than purchasing another filter, or combining your existing filters together.
          Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Comment

Thanks everyone I don't mind buying another filter as long as I can keep the filter system as the cokin filters are not too expensive I will look at the ND10 filters thanks for your comments and suggestions

Flickr
            Facebook

Comment

Can you stack filters with Cokin?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                Can you stack filters with Cokin?
                yes I've got a cokin system, I think it has three slots

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Why not experiment with a piece of welding glass just cut it to size to fit in your cokin adapter should be a cheap option which you can buy from your local industrial supplies store. I know it will give you a green cast which is easily removed in photoshop etc and is as good as using a lee big stopper (almost)
                  Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                    Why not experiment with a piece of welding glass just cut it to size to fit in your cokin adapter should be a cheap option which you can buy from your local industrial supplies store. I know it will give you a green cast which is easily removed in photoshop etc and is as good as using a lee big stopper (almost)
                    do you have a Blue Peter badge .. great idea and I'm sure I've seen that mentioned before, and it works

Comment

Working...
                    X