Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photgraphing BIF with 650D

Photographing BIF using 650D

Most of my photography is stationary subjects but I have been trying to photograph BIF and other moving subjects recently. After all, red kites are as common as robins here and we’ve had the Red Arrows here 3 times in the last 4 years. Not that I’m bragging (!)

My results are focused but soft – attached sample, even worse shrunk down to 800 pxls!

I appreciate that my entry level 650 is not the best camera for this, nor possibly is old trombone boy the 100-400 L, but until I upgrade, there it is, and I’m trying to squeeze the best out of what I’ve got.
    I have got the basic idea with regards to high SS, tripod,AI servo mode, continuous shooting, pan with the flight etc but would appreciate some help with the following :-
    1. from the Menu- AF method Flexizone multi? Face recognition/tracking?
    2. AF point selection – automatic? I have a miserly choice of 9 pts
    3. Evaluative or spot metering ?
    4. Would BBF help? I have read about it but as yet not tried it

IMG_9762 a.jpg

Some of it may be practice, practice, practice, with but I would appreciate any help from you folks out there.
    Many thanks,

Bo
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Photgraphing BIF with 650D

Hello! Lunarbo,

The 650D is quite a good camera and is an twin of the 700D. It can very well take shots of birds in flight if you pan in the direction of the flight using a shutter speed of 2000, auto TV ,AL SERVO,auto ISO,auto WB. (I have also used manually set ISO 800 in reasonable light). I will try and post some of my BIF shots taken with my 6D which has only approx 4fps and with my 70-200mm lens + 1.4TC.I use Partial metering, continuous shooting. AF point, I use centre point.

Conwy RSPB 14th April 2014 013 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr

Conwy RSPB 14th April 2014 012 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 11-01-2015, 13:28.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

hmm apart from slower focus lock on there should be no problems with b.i.f with that combo
      my recommendations to make it easy for your self is this
      a/v mode
      iso 640 or 800 you may get away lower in spain
      evaluative metering
      single point centre focus
      f7.1 or f8 for sharpness
      when doing b.i.f the the basic mistake people make is just shooting away ,you MUST apply positive exposure compensation from plus 1/3rd through to plus a full stop or higher ,depending on the camera model and actual light ,this will stop the sky being metered and darkening the bird .it might take a few practise shots to get it right but it works .
      shoot in RAW if your skills allow to make it easier to adjust shots in p.p

heres one of mine from last year ..b.t.w tripod use is not needed if you can get over 1/1500 sec shutter speed in fact it might hamper you with i.s on the lens .this is at 400mm to btw

LETS GO FLY A KITE by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

and yours after a quick re-work from the small j.peg on here
      red kite re-work by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

as you say bo practise practise and more practise ,i always find seagulls the best to practise with and a few slices of bread works wonders
      Last edited by the black fox; 11-01-2015, 14:34.

Comment

A big thank you to both Nat and Black Fox for your considered and valued responses. I have also looked into Stan's comments yesterday on the settings he uses on someone else's post ("my first attempts at BIF")

It is clear to me that my basic fault was not ensuring the shutter speed was high enough- my kite above was at 1 / 640 whilst I was being overly concerned at focal length, you guys get good results at f 8 and I was pushing it up to around f 16 . So now I have more room to play with.

Thanks for the re-jig foxy but I've a long way to go yet, looking at yours!

Went to the coast yesterday and tried both Nat and Fox's settings. Centre point focus and partial metering. On a sunny day and ISO 400 I made sure the shutter speed was up to 1/1600 and there was a definate improvement with a passing osprey.

I think I've got the principles now and will fine tune with a bit more confidence.

Incidently, this is addictive stuff- I'm keen to go out again to see what I can achieve!

Comment

nice one bo ,yep its extremely addictive .the most important setting is the exposure compensation one .if you use av you should be able to adjust on the fly by gently activating your shutter button with a soft touch then spinning your rear control wheel right or left for + or - .

so so important to get right as it stops the sky burning out the details in the bird

a passing osprey grrrrrrrrrrrr i,m now sat here spitting feathers just spilt my coffee over the keyboard ,oh just a passing osprey double grrrrrrrrrrr
          Last edited by the black fox; 13-01-2015, 11:29.

Comment

I don't wish to confuse with advice from Foxy & perhaps Stan. I don't use AV for my BIF shots but prefer to set the TV(Shutter speed around 2000) and let auto AV take over. I do not use manual mode for my BIF shots. I also use partial metering on the bird itself so that it is focussed & exposed correctly. Perhaps you can try both methods and see which photo comes out OK for you. I also prefer to shoot in Jpeg, unless I am photographing an important event e.g a wedding or something similar. By doing this (Jpeg), I don't spend hours in front of my computer (other members might not agree with me) and I like to be out and about. I believe I have got my Jpeg and in camera settings "right" as all my church photos/concerts taken inside buildings are more or less OK. They are also published in the local papers. Best of luck BO and do post some of your pics for us to see.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Thanks Nat, I have taken everyone's comments on board and believe I have a better grasp of the principles. Will keep working on it and post something when I've taken something I'm really chuffed with

Sorry about the coffee Foxy, tee hee

Honestly we just get so blasé on this beautiful island
              Last edited by lunarbo; 14-01-2015, 07:13.

Comment

It seems that we have both decided to have a go at BIF Bo. You may have seen my post from two days ago. I went to a local park trying to capture some seagulls. It was a really drab and grey day so I needed a high shutter speed, i guessed at 1/500 but have since been advised at least 1/1000 but only really with good light so that the ISO doesn't need cranking up.

Out of probably 100 shots i kept two that I was reasonably pleased with. I did enjoy my hour having a go and will def be back for more when the light is better.
                Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

HI Alan

Yes I read your post with interest and also made a note of Stan's settings. We are very fortunate here on Menorca with the fantastic light and clearer skies, compared to the dull and grey UK ones seemingly 80%+ of the time. So I can keep my ISO generally lower .................. no excuse for anything less than tack sharp pics!
                  I've got a long way to go but the challenge is heady. Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing some of your shots on here

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    nice one bo ,yep its extremely addictive .the most important setting is the exposure compensation one .if you use av you should be able to adjust on the fly by gently activating your shutter button with a soft touch then spinning your rear control wheel right or left for + or - .
                    IIRC the 650D doesn't have a back control wheel - it's all done through the one below the shutter button.

has anyone suggested switching to Back Button Focus?
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Hi! Bo & Alan,

I would suggest that you do not complicate matters by trying out Back button focus and similar but just use your straight forward technique using some of the suggestions given in this thread. Just to encourage you, I am posting another simple BIF shot of a Heron using my canon 100D + 70-200mm +1.4TC. Most important for me is the shutter speed and I rarely shoot below 1600; usually I use 2000.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oToFzz]

Comment

Hi Nat,

Yes I'm pleased that BBF did not get suggested as it's yet unpracticed by me.

From your & Fox's encouraging & helpful comments I realised my shutter speed just wasn't high enough and looking back through my previous keepers there was nothing over 800. Setting it at 1600 or 2000 as you suggested worked better.

Both of you believe I can make a difference with the equipment I've got and that too is good- means my targets are realistic.

So thanks again.

Bo

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post

Yes I'm pleased that BBF did not get suggested as it's yet unpracticed by me.
                          I didn't try BBF for a long time but after reading so much about it thought I'd give it go, and it was the best thing I did - my keep rate has increased and its the only way I shoot now, you should give it a try especially if your pointing your camera towards fast moving subjects ..
                          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks for the additional advice Nat, much appreciated.

So then Bo, no excuse for either of us to stuff up now then lol
                            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Working...
                            X