All change again :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All change again :)

Some of you will remember my earlier trials of lenses and bodies and how many times I've swapped stuff over the years. Well I'm at it again, however, I'm keeping my current kit and adding. I'm on to get any advice on where is best to search for used gear. I have a list of vendors that I do search on everyday.

MPB, Wex, Mifsuds, Calumet, London Camera exchange and Ebay.

I'm in the hunt for a 1D Mark IV, and a Canon 300mm 2.8 IS mk1 and it's draining my soul searching everyday on the sites lol.

I managed to get a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS USM Mk1 for £599 yesterday from LCE. A few scuffs on it, but that was the bargain of the century. Works perfectly well too so I'm a happy bunny indeed. Usually about £899-£1000 for those still.

I'll be doing sports a lot more now so it's worthwhile investing in the kit in my eyes.

I have been thinking a lot about wildlife again as I do miss it, I went down to the park and fed some little birds off my hands. Excellent experience and anyone should give it a try.

bird feeding time
    by campsiestreet, on Flickr

Hope all is well

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: All change again :)

Glad to see that you are back behind the lens Paul. There are plenty of Parus caeruleus about in this cold weather
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Honestly just amazing creatures, birds. I must have sat for my whole lunch break just watching them. Don't think I'll ever get sick of it. However, I mill admit at being a little slack on the DOF front. 5.6 was obviously not enough at 33mm on FF.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Paul - I recently upgraded and updated a body and a lens. Like you I was reviewing the sites you listed at least once a day. In the end Mifsuds got the orders and I must say I was very pleased with the service and the kit I have bought.
        Good luck with your search
        David

Comment

Cheers David. They are a wee bit more pricey than the others. Wex seems to be very reasonable. MPB seem to ask a lot for gear that looks like it was run over by a truck.

I'll keep my eye out.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Glad to hear you're still out there Paul.
            Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Hi Paul - you may be right - but I was keeping an eye out for what seemed to be months for the right gear and the right price. In the end I got fed and was getting close to the time I really needed to have it. A body turned up on the Mifsuds site at a good price - so I went for it. As the price was so good I went the extra mile and got a lens off them too. Both second hand and fairly described on their site.
              No complaints
              Happy hunting
              David

Comment

Think you'll find all the retailer ask for about the same price for their used goods you may have to wait a long time to find a bargain.
                The 1D MK IV is still retailing at around £1600-£2000 which seems way overpriced and one reason i went for the 5D MKIII which had a much higher spec and was actually a lot cheaper at the time.
                The 7D MKII could be well worth a look! on the grey market it cost as little as £1079 maybe even cheaper if you look around (not suggesting going down that route) It would also help with the 1.6 crop for your wildlife as well??? Just to throw another spanner in the works lol.

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

The 7D2 is a pretty big spanner to be honest. Same button layout as my 5D3 and better AF system. I seen that you can get it for just over a grand on SLRHut. One of the guys I know is selling his 1DIV for £1300 with 9000 actuations and his pristene 300 2.8 for £2600. I feel bad that he's chucking the game.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

£1300 for the MKIV is about as good as you'll get,though show him £1200 in hard cash and you may twist his arm. or £3600 for the job lot!!! lol.
                    Happy hunting. (This will probably my last year with the 5D before i upgrade wife permitting)
                    Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Aye 1D-X are dropping so good. £2899 used it crazy.
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Despite the votes for my lad has just sold his 7d2 ,and switched to nikon ,I never had the chance to really try it out but he said he didn't feel it was the results he wanted ,personally I think I need to increase my lens length but it all comes at a price and after having a play with both 200-400 vr and 100-400mk2 today I wonder what to do ,also tried a sigma 800 ,that was impressive even on full frame.got some serious thinking to do before summer

Comment

I'd keep my eye out for the newer Art series Sigma lens. The new sports 120-300 2.8 is dropping jaws just now. I know a few sports guys that have sold canon primes to get it. I just can't justify spending £2700 on it lol
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Paul, nice to hear from you again, and I hope you find what you are looking for.

BTW, a super shot of the bird feeding from you hand.

I feed countless numbers of Blue and Great Tits every day here, but have not yet been able to hand feed them. Well done!!

I did once get a Thrush and Blackbird to perch on my knee and feed.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

Cheers Dave :)

They only do it in the winter when food is scarce. I had to stop because a squirrel was pestering me. I had a few rogue pigeons trying to land on me too. lol
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                              X