Flickr - should I try it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickr - should I try it?

I don't post photos here anymore as I am not on Flickr. I used to, years ago.
    Been having a look at Flickr today, as stuck at home with sprained ankle.
    Are there any downsides to using Flickr?
    Thanks

Re: Flickr - should I try it?

Not seen any downsides myself yet - however you dont need to be on flickr to post pictures on here. You can create yourself and album on here and upload to that then link from it into a post.

I do however find LR and publishing to flickr quite easy to do and then just link in to here now myself.

Why not try it for a week - if you dont like it - remove all your pictures / details and cancel it.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

I don't use Flickr at all other than a gallery I use exclusively for posting on this site - the plus point to it is always works like a dream for me
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I can't see any downsides, other than image theft, but any place you post images they can be copied. If thats a concern putting small low res images will stop some from taking them
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I just use it for sharing my images, and it does the job fine. No particular downsides. Although I would actually be secretly pleased if someone wanted to steal one of my images, I do only ever upload a max side size of 1024, and with my copyright showing, for whatever that is worth.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I have never had any problems with flickr and have over 6000 images on there - however I never upload at anything bigger than 900 px on the longest side so very little point in theft

stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

been on there for 6 + years never had a problem ,not as good as it used to be but social media changes everything constantly .sold images via flickr ,had photos used on bbc spring/autumn and winter watch from there and had requests for inclusions in books and mags from there .if theres a downside i can't find it

Comment

No downsides for me either ,my photos ain't good enough to stolen but I've met some great people on there who helped with location advise and I've seen some inspirational photos on there.As the guys said give it a go you can always delete if you don't like it.

Comment

Thanks folks.
                  I'll give it a whirl.
                  Hugh

Comment

It's also worth remembering you mark images on Flickr as private then they are only visible to people you share the link with.
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                      It's also worth remembering you mark images on Flickr as private then they are only visible to people you share the link with.
                      I always leave mine public,and I also tag every photo with as much info as possible ,picture editors use this to search for photos to use if it's private they can't .just had a book through the post on Friday with one of my images in ,got another couple in print at the moment .if you don't stick your head over the parapet no ones going to see it

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                        I always leave mine public
                        Most of mine are public, it's only the odd family one I mark private.
                        Andy
                        Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Working...
                        X