Spectacles, viewfinders, and dioptres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like many other folk, by the time I got into my 50's, I found I needed longer arms in order to read the newspaper .

So, I started wearing reading glasses, although my distance vision was still very good.

By the time I reached 70, my distance vision had tailed off a bit, and although I could still read a car number plate at the regulation distance, it wasn't 'pin sharp' any more, and this was more noticeable when driving at night.

So, I took to wearing distance glasses for driving.

The dioptre adjustment on the camera's viewfinder ensured that without any glasses the view was sharp and crisp.

However, if i needed to read the top LCD on the camera, and change settings, I had to put on my reading glasses.

Taking them off to use the viewfinder, and putting them back on to read the LCD, was a real pain.

So, recently, I had a pair of bi-focal glasses made, the main area being my distance prescription, the smaller area at the bottom, my reading prescription.

A re-adjustment of the viewfinder's dioptre setting, to suit my distance prescription, and 'bingo', no more taking glasses on and off when I use the camera.

Should have thought of this a long time ago, and saved a lot of frustration.

Dave
    Dave

Re: Spectacles, viewfinders, and dioptres

I too wear glasses Dave- actually from a very young age. I have been wearing varifocal lenses for a very long time and I have no problem either with my distance or close reading.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Worn glasses from my early teens dave and take advantage of a free eye test every year now ,one thing I can tell you is our eyesight changes substantially and very quickly once we are over 50 ,I wear distance glasses for normal life ,have a pair of reading glasses for computer desktop work ,but anything within a foot to 15 or so inches away I.e books ,i.pad as now ,newspapers etc or intricate close up work requires nothing at all ,weird init

Comment

another specs user here mostly for reading as I can get away with distance without glasses but as I was getting fed up with two sets now use bi-focal...although during the summer months I tend to use my camera with no glasses as I get steamed up ;o)

I also use different glasses for PC work as I was finding the reading glasses were wrong for the distance for my monitor, and when you think about reading distance as in books and the distance you use a PC is completely different - So I have bi-focal for work /pc use with the bottom for reading and top slightly weaker for my PC distance ... It was amusing getting these as I had to measure the distance from my monitor and tell the optician
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Nat, I tried Vari-Focals, not so long ago, but just couldn't get on with them, especially for driving, where I found them very disconcerting.

Like you Jeff, I also have the free annual eye-check, and whereas my distance vision remains unchanged, my near vision (reading) has changed to a slightly stronger prescription, and have just had a new pair.

However, while I could read quite well with my old reading prescription, very small print wasn't as 'tack-sharp' as it was. With the new prescription it is again.

My old prescription readers are perfect for PC monitor distance, and so continue to use these when at the PC. Much the same as with you Ian.

Its all a bit of a 'pain in the arse' really, but in my case, and integral part of the 'Ano-Domini' effect I guess.

That said, I suppose I should consider myself lucky for not needing glasses until I turned 50.

Dave
          Last edited by Dave_S; 15-03-2015, 10:30.
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
            another specs user here mostly for reading as I can get away with distance without glasses but as I was getting fed up with two sets now use bi-focal...although during the summer months I tend to use my camera with no glasses as I get steamed up ;o)

I also use different glasses for PC work as I was finding the reading glasses were wrong for the distance for my monitor, and when you think about reading distance as in books and the distance you use a PC is completely different - So I have bi-focal for work /pc use with the bottom for reading and top slightly weaker for my PC distance ... It was amusing getting these as I had to measure the distance from my monitor and tell the optician
            Same for me too. Been wearing reading glasses for a good few years now. Although they are great I hate having to take them off for everything else. My distance is pin sharp. So I invested in a pair of 'office glasses' . Different strength lenses for reading close and slightly weaker for the monitor.

I also tried contacts as they said they could do that now. Flipping liars lol. My reading was ok but it compromised my distance. Even looked into lasering, nope can't help as its a muscle weakening and not a medical weakness.

Using my camera is a real challenge as Dave said. Don't need them for the view finder but a big fat yes for the LCD screen.

Just have to accept that even at my young age, 48, it's readers from now on.
            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Dave, I wear photochromatic varifocals and have done so for donkeys years with no problem whatsoever. The important thing is to get the vision centres (for distant & close )100% correct. I have had very few occasions when Boots & D&A got these vision centres wrong but I always went back and ensured that they were 100% correct. Once this is done correctly the vision is perfect -from long distance to close reading. I have been told that my vision, with my varifocal glasses, are as good as for an airline pilot!
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I think its that they do take a bit of getting used to Nat, and I probably didn't persist with them long enough, giving up after two weeks, and taking them back to Boots.

It was when driving that I felt most uncomfortable with them, especially when glancing to the side, or using the door mirror, whereas with the 'full-vision' distance glasses, no problem.

I can see the speedo etc, quite well with the distance glasses on, and even read the sat-nav screen, but then it is a 7" screen.

I don't need my distance glasses for everyday walking around, only for driving (more so at night), although I do like to wear them for watching TV.

So, do I sense that with your vari-focals, you are going to take up flying as new hobby.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Dave, I agree that varifocals are not to everyone's taste and yes,they do take a bit of time to get used to. I am glad you are happy with your glasses. Flying as a hobby? Never even dreamt about it. I am keeping my eye sight as protected as much as possible with annual eye sight tests etc, as I will be sunk without trace if I cannot drive my car. However, a time will surely come when I have to stop driving and that will be the day for me!!!!!!

Comment

Varifocals made my life better. A little adjustment time, but the benefits way exceeded the quirks. Shooting. I have the viewfinder set for no glasses. If taking just one shot, I look through the top of the glasses. If taking several, the glasses go in a shirt pocket. Generally works OK.
                    Bill
                    "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                      Using my camera is a real challenge as Dave said. Don't need them for the view finder but a big fat yes for the LCD screen.

Just have to accept that even at my young age, 48, it's readers from now on.
                      winter use I'm OK with the camera but summer especially if its humid is hard work as I do sweat and find my glassed get steamed up if using the camera - so I go back to the old glasses around my neck to view the viewfinder and try my best to cope adjusting the camera via viewfinder which isn't too bad
                      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                      X