Image stabilisation or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that one should disable IS when the camera is mounted on a tripod - but what about when mounted on a monopod?

Although I find a monopod gives a much more stable view through the camera, it is nowhere near as stable as using a tripod.

What do others do?
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Image stabilisation or not?

I have a monopod but never use it....I agree with you it doesn't give that absolute certainty of no movement....they only stop movement in one axis, the vertical leaving left/right and forward/backward only assisted. I think the theory is that your own two legs are supposed to make up the tripod effect with the monopod being the third. Yes I agree IS should be off...but not sure on that because there is still movement in two axis....so I'm in the same boat as you on this. Sorry that's not much help....I'll experiment myself.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have and use a monopod from time to time. My view on monopod use is as an aid to take the weight of heavy kit, there will be some help to stability but not comparable to a tripod as you're still holding the camera.

As there will still be some movement I've always left IS on.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
        I have and use a monopod from time to time. My view on monopod use is as an aid to take the weight of heavy kit, there will be some help to stability but not comparable to a tripod as you're still holding the camera.

+1 for the same reason.
        Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post

yep agree - its just something to take the weight not stabilise the camera
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm going to sort of disagree with some of you here. A monopod is there to stabilise the camera but probably not to the extent that it will avoid shutter blur. I find mine, when I use it, very useful in helping to keep the focus points on the target rather than waving around all over the place in the breeze...
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I'm just reading the destruction (sic) book for my 16-35 f4 [emoji8](I sold a kidney) and it states " The stabiliser is equally effective for hand held photography and photography with a monopd"
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                " The stabiliser is equally effective for hand held photography and photography with a monopd"
                LOL..what a pointless statement - I assume they say the same for camera as well ;o)

PS - enjoy the new lens its a cracker ....
                Last edited by Tigger; 28-08-2015, 13:07.
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Many thanks to all who have replied - the consensus seems to be for IS on with a monopod which coincides with my own thoughts. As Andy says, the monopod can form the 3rd leg of a tripod in conjunction with your own legs, and I usually try to position the monopod foot forward of the vertical through the camera for that reason.
                  John Liddle

Comment

Yep, for me, on a tripod IS is off, but on the monopod, the IS is always on.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

the jury is out on this one ,i think that if your doing landscapes ,portraits etc then yes the i.s should be off when on a tripod ,however if your doing moving subjects i.e birds in flight ,airshows ,car racing etc then even when tripod mounted the i.s should be engaged ,and leave on at all times when monopod mounted

Comment

Think that's pretty much correct. I've a friend who uses a gimbal for bird photography and keeps IS on.

On a monopod movement should be less than hand holding but it isn't going to be completely still as when on a tripod for landscapes for instance.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Interesting thread this, I have been using a Monopod for the Cricket shots some of you may have seen in the Sports section, I have many times wondered at what speed does the IS become ineffective or does it even become a disadvantage at higher speeds, over 1000 for example???

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks to all for the additional thoughts - I think I shall keep the IS on for monopod shots.
                            John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                              Interesting thread this, I have been using a Monopod for the Cricket shots some of you may have seen in the Sports section, I have many times wondered at what speed does the IS become ineffective or does it even become a disadvantage at higher speeds, over 1000 for example???

Regards Paul
                              Certainly not seen any high speed problems with the sig monster ,I suppose a lot depends on actual lens and when it was developed

Comment

Working...
                              X