Resize for printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resize for printing

I habitually use Lightroom to crop for composition and this results in non-standard aspect ratios. Not usually a problem as I mainly display on screen rarely printing but, when I do, can usually crop for the required paper size.

Yesterday I uploaded a batch to DSC but one wouldn't fit and I couldn't see how to avoid the crop it seemed to be imposing on me so asked their technical people for advice. Initial advice was that what I wanted was not possible but I later found a 'shrink to fit' option existed so replied mentioning this. Their advice now is yes it exists but not to use it and to ensure my images are the correct ratios/sizes before uploading.

Tests suggest this is sound as the DPI and therefore quality does reduce when shrunk so that's what I'll do in future however, finally to the question... the only way I can think of to do this is to resize the canvas in PS but can this be done in LR? I know the export option permits altering either the long or short edges but in my tests the whole image resized to keep to the same ratio.

Cheers,
    John

Re: Resize for printing

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
    the only way I can think of to do this is to resize the canvas in PS but can this be done in LR? I know the export option permits altering either the long or short edges but in my tests the whole image resized to keep to the same ratio.
    I don't think there's a way with the standard export element of LR. There may be custom plugins which allow it though (there's one which lets you export with fancy borders and the like, for example). For example, I think LR/Mogrify might let you do it.

Is there something in the print module though? You can 'print' your properly formatted image to a JPEG (including framing, text, etc.)

Tony.
    https://www.flickr.com/eightbittony

Comment

I use DSC for many of my competition shots which often are not in the right ratio for a 15" x 10" print, I don't use lightroom but in photoshop all I do is use the image, canvas size option and add a white canvas so that the shot becomes a 3 : 2 ratio.

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Thanks Tony and Stan.

I think extending the canvas in PS is probably the best option and I created a small spreadsheet to calculate what the new settings should be. It works so I'll probably stick to that if I can'e easilly do it in LR.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

I have been using Pro Am for several years for my prints mainly 16x12 for camera club competitions, their requirements are a resolution if 402ppi and using their profile which is downloadable from their site

In Lightroom using the develop module I crop to ratio of 4x3 and then export as JPEG, in the export window I choose resize and enter from the drop down menu width and height enter 16w 12h, 402 for the resolution, in the profile box choose other and pick the downloaded profile

Rightly or wrongly I assume Lightroom is either interpolating or reducing the pixel count but I have always been thrilled with my prints

hope this helps as it is a bit of a waffle

Alan

Comment

Working...
          X