Indoor Convention Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor Convention Photography

Sorry if you've seen this post from me before in another forum.

Long story with some background, before my question.

I spent a few years with a bridge camera that over time, increasingly showed it's age. However, I really enjoyed using it, and got some photographs that I was pleased with. I took the camera to London Comic Con in 2013, and with a combination of blind luck and perseverance, got a small number of portrait style shots I was happy with, among a large collection of okay to show your friends but nothing to be proud of shots.

That was part of my reasonably recent discovery, that I enjoyed photography as an activity rather than just as a way of recording events. That in turn led to the purchase of a Canon 600D, and a year or so of playing with that and various lenses.

I took that camera, and my Sigma 17-50 lens to Comic Con in London at the start of this year, with the intention of spending the day just taking photographs. However, I had a significant crisis of confidence at the start of the day (for various reasons), and ended up taking a small handful of shots, mostly struggling to approach anyone and asking them to pose. The shots I did take were terrible (technically) in the end, and the whole thing was quite disappointing.

I'm planning to go to Birmingham Comic Con in November, again, with the sole intention of taking photographs; both as a way of increasing my confidence and my skill (no point sticking inside your comfort zones eh?).

Although the convention centres usually feel bright, they're still indoors and people rarely want to stand stock still long enough to get low ISO shots without a flash and without any movement blur.

So to my query. I've got experience of (not much) using a flash indoors in situations where the ceiling and walls can be used to bounce the light and prevent those hard flash shadows. In the convention centre, that's not going to be an option. So what are my best options for getting acceptable photographs, without any sharp flash shadows, of people who usually only want to pause and pose for 5-10 seconds (because they're usually being harassed by a lot of other people taking shots)?

Here's the kit I've got to work with (upgraded body, money from a redundancy payout, I know it's overkill, but it's lovely).

Canon 7D2
    Sigma 17-50mm f2.8
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8 (the model before the latest one)
    Canon Speedlight 430ex ii

I've listed 2 lenses, although I suspect the only one I'll take is the Sigma. The Canon 50mm is a bit tight for anything more than pure headshots in a convention centre which is usually quite packed (on a crop sensor), and if it's a group of people, I'd be screwed.

I've got a very basic plastic diffuser for the flash (similar to, but not exactly like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/MaxsimafotoŽ.../dp/B002U3BI5Q ), although I've not found it hugely effective.

Does anyone with experience of taking shots in this kind of environment have any advice? Do I just use the flash normally and deal with the shadows, is there a simple diffuser option which is effective and will help but won't add a lot of bulk (already working in quite tight conditions). Should I forgo flash and just deal with high ISO shots to keep the shutter speed up and prevent motion blur?
    Tony.
    https://www.flickr.com/eightbittony

Re: Indoor Convention Photography

Firstly Tony you worry too much grab the bull by the horns and just ask everyone and anybody to pose for you take control(the first is the hardest after that all your nerves will disappear) set your camera to Tv mode and set the shutter around 1/160 and the camera and flash will take care of the rest just flip down the built in wide angle diffuser if you want to soften the light, shadows will only be a real problem if you have a solid object behind your subject so just be aware.

If you find the background is to dark just change to a slower shutter speed or up the ISO I'm guessing it won't be to dark anyway as there should be good indoor lighting and still use your flash if your shooting outdoors as well (same setting)as it really brings the subject to life.

I'm sure there'll be some better responses than mine but the biggest problem is not using flash its getting you to ask the first person lol.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Im the same as you and do struggle approaching people, but at events like these people love being asked if you can take there photos and will be more than happy to throw a pose :)...

If your using a flash I'd use AV mode as that way you can control the DoF better as you could have a messy background and you don't want that spoiling the image - I did post a photo yesterday of a lady I approached in a local bar as I loved her Halloween outfit and that was at 1/60 AV and a flash
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I am by no means an expert but, does that flash have TTL? If so, use that and set shutter speed (in manual) to the sync speed of the flash, say 1/160 and choose your aperture to suit. The flash will adjust itself.

If I have any, or all of that incorrect, ignore me, I'm an idiot
        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

One word of warning if using Tv keep an eye in the viewfinder if the shutter speed settings start to blink, slow the shutter speed down or up the ISO until the blinking stops then you'll be good to shoot with perfect exposures every time?????.famous last words.Don't forget you can also use the +/- compensation on the flash to increase or decrease the flash output.

And finally make sure you get the subject to look into the lens, and get your camera's focus points on the eyes or face!

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

With the kit you have, personally I wouldn't bother with flash. The lenses are fast, and the body is capable of good results at higher iso settings. The light is highly unlikey to be that bad that you need to resort to using flash to get sharp images.
            Paul

Comment

If the ambient light is not going to change much....I suspect not if inside....then set a manual exposure of anything from 1/20 sec upwards and adjust the aperture to get a nice background exposure....then set your flash on manual say about 1/8 or 1/4 power and try some test shots....and then adjust the flash output to get the desired exposure. Even at 1/20sec any movement of your subject will be frozen by the flash. If you go in close then reduce the flash....if you go further away increase the flash....it's a great way to work and you can keep the ISO low. It's not as difficult as it sounds....good luck!
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks all for the comments - I guess I should have anticipated there'd be no one answer :)
                Tony.
                https://www.flickr.com/eightbittony

Comment

Originally posted by EightBitTony View Post
                  Thanks all for the comments - I guess I should have anticipated there'd be no one answer :)
                  It's a given asking something on here lol
                  Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Tony, I hope your not too confused....try ISO200, 1/20th sec F4 and you'll probably get a decent starting point background exposure...then experiment with manual flash.
                    Its a much easier approach than trying to defeat the auto exposure, auto flash....and its much more rewarding when you have found your own exposure rather than relying on automatic modes.
                    Just my thing at the moment....its been a great revelation for me to learn this, this year.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                      With the kit you have, personally I wouldn't bother with flash. The lenses are fast, and the body is capable of good results at higher iso settings. The light is highly unlikey to be that bad that you need to resort to using flash to get sharp images.
                      Seconded. With decent framing, as in no cropping needed, high ISO on a 7D can look pretty decent.
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                        But flash gives such good light it really make an image stand out, i use flash more during the day than at night i love the effect it gives.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X