Flash Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash Help

I'm struggling with my flash work and was wondering if someone more experienced could help, plus I've used the flash on my camera maybe 2 twice so either I'm doing something wrong ( likely) or I'm trying to do something the flash wont do

I currently use Nissin Di866 - If using the flash with some light the camera locks focus OK, but if the room is dark the camera is hunting for focus and I've missed a couple of shots because of this

Is there a setting on the 5DMkIII that I need to have on to help the camera talk to the flash ? I've gone through all the basic settings ( clicking for TTL ) so can't see anything I've missed

Next ....assuming its a shortfall of the flash I'm looking at buying a Canon Speedlite either the new 430ex iii or 600 model

One thing I was reading was the 430exiii was ok with 24-105 lens, but I do sometimes use my 70-200, would this mean if so I would just need to adjust the flash exp compensation to give it more power or basically will the flash just not cope with a longer lens?

If I was looking at the 600 model I assume being a bigger flash unit that would handle the 70-200 fine??

And last, sorry so many questions, in the dark how would the Speedlite differ from the Nissin with focus hunting ....

ta
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Re: Flash Help

I don't know if the Nissin has this, but on Canon Speedlight's it's called AF Assist.

Canon’s Speedlite 580EX II and 430EX flashguns can help to ensure accurate autofocusing in low light shooting situations by deploying AF–assist beams. If low light levels mean autofocus cannot be achieved by the EOS camera alone the external EOS–dedicated Speedlite’s AF assist beam will be emitted automatically. The beam projects onto the subject, which is recognised by the camera’s AF system, and an image can then be shot. On the EOS–1Ds Mark III and EOS–1D Mark III the AF–assist beam is available as custom function C.Fn III – 14 – this allows the photographer to enable or disable the EOS—dedicated Speedlite flashgun’s AF—assist beam.
    Tony.
    https://www.flickr.com/eightbittony

Comment

I have used the 600 flash unit with a 70-200 on my 1dmkii and in E-TTL mode it coped very well. I don't know about the 430 though.

Tony is right if you go into the flash settings on the camera you should see something called AF assist make sure if it is on.
      1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
      Facebook
      www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Cheers guys I found the AF assist beam settings, why they didn't put that within the same section as the flash settings I don't know!

The Nissin now has a IR bean when trying to focus in low light and whilst it works OK the camera is still hunting a bit, but its a lot better, I suppose its something I need to except when the camera is relying on an IR bean to focus lock

Thanks anyway guys
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Glad you got that sorted Ian, if you are in the market for a new flash have a look at the Yongnuo flash guns. They are obviously clones of the Canon equivalent speed lights. I have two which are very much like ( visually but probably not technically) my Canon 580 mk2 but at a fraction of the cost and they work well.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
          X