Sharpness ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpness ?

I have conducted a few "loose" experiments over the last few weeks using 5D3 and 24/105mm lens and I have
    come to the conclusion that shooting JPEG I get far sharper results than shooting raw files and sharpening them ln LRcc.
    The difference is quite remarkable and I am more than surprised by this result. I set the sharpness in JPEG to the mid
    position and the pics are brilliant, could not ask for more. If i shoot in raw or jpeg and raw then I can not attain the same clarity using the sharpening tools provided in either LRcc or PScc. Wonder if any of the the knowledgable folk here have any idea why this is happening, quite literally to the same pic but one JPEG the other RAW files. Thanks for any thoughts

Re: Sharpness ?

I've been using the 24-105 on my 5D3 since owning it and TBH I couldn't ask for sharper images and shoot only in Raw

Could you post your test images
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ian. I know it's nothing to do with the lens or in fact any lens I have but it is some how in the process of raw files. Nothing mechanical or optical but in process of the computer inside the camera............................................ .I think!. I have other canon bodies 5d2 and this strange anomaly does not occur, only on the 5d3 so I am at a lose. Maybe just a quirk of the 5d3. I would just like to know. Thanks again for the reply. I like your pool pic bye the way. Cheers

Comment

Treff - if this is a Canon phenomenon, it might be worth trying the RAW to jpg conversion in DPP for comparison purposes - one would assume that Canon would use the same processing algorithms inside the camera and in DPP.
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I'll have to test it myself, but camera sharpness is something I've never concerns with and don't see how I could improve on it.

Interested to hear what others think, but if this was the case your trading off having a Raw file over a Jpeg

cheers glad you liked the pool
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

There is a myth that RAW processed images will be superior to JPEG ones.
            This is not true.
            RAW image processing and subsequent further processing in PS will allow you to take control of where and when to sharpen, by how much, what sort of sharpening tool to use and by the use of layer masks, to which parts of the image sharpening will be applied - plus selective removal of the sharpening effect if it was applied in error. Unfortunately the latter will only be superior if the person concerned has the skill to make it so.
            Please do not take this as an insult to your personal skills but is the most likely root of the differences you observed. If not, then I apologise in advance !
            James
            James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I'll throw another spanner in the works.

When i shoot in M Raw my images from the 5D mkIII look so much cleaner and sharper than when i shoot Full Raw not sure why sometimes i think it maybe my monitor that can't handle the fine detail of the Full Raw files not really sure as it shouldn't be a problem, but i alway shoot M Raw file now and get great result from those Medium files??

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                I'll throw another spanner in the works.

When i shoot in M Raw my images from the 5D mkIII look so much cleaner and sharper than when i shoot Full Raw not sure why sometimes i think it maybe my monitor that can't handle the fine detail of the Full Raw files not really sure as it shouldn't be a problem, but i alway shoot M Raw file now and get great result from those Medium files??

Paul
                Are you using a 4K monitor ? If not, could it be due to downscaling ?
                James
                James Boardman Woodend
                www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Hi James

I doubt my screen is 4K as it's max res which it's set too is 1600x900 so i don't even think that relates to full HD res.

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                    Hi James

I doubt my screen is 4K as it's max res which it's set too is 1600x900 so i don't even think that relates to full HD res.

Paul
                    Could be its downscaling problem.
                    Take a M- RAW and a full RAW process them identically. View result at 100% and see if the full RAW looks better or not
                    James
                    James Boardman Woodend
                    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                      Could be its downscaling problem.
                      Take a M- RAW and a full RAW process them identically. View result at 100% and see if the full RAW looks better or not
                      James
                      Thank James i will give that a try over the weekend.

Paul

Comment

Sorry not been able to come back on this thread but a few unexpected days in hospital put pay to that. I see no one as a firm answer. I am at a loss my self to this difference in sharpness. To answer someone's question about experience well I have trained as a technical cameraman and also spent over 40 years as a photojournalist for one of the countries leading newspapers (still can't spell lol) so I have been using this software for quite some time. There must be a reason for the lack of sharpness in the raw file. Come to that with the super cameras and optics of todays world why indeed to the include such quite elegant tools for sharpening at all? Makes one think. Don't get me wrong I'm knocking nothing here just wanted an answer to what I though was a simple question. Obviously no such thing lol

Comment

Long shot, could it be to do with a style preset or camera calibration setting?
                          Paul

Comment

Some example shots would help ,unfortunately this is usually down to user error ,if it was factual I would think it would be the same in the 7d2 and 750/760d cameras as there all new generation

Comment

Yes of course I will try and get a couple of example pictures sent over the coming days which I hope will help. At the mo still in bed so could be a little while but I will think of something. Cheers.
                              Thanks Planetc, yes I thought of that but every thing set to 0 but I did find something today while trying to pass the time is the fact there is two screws missing from the lens mounting plate. I have never noticed before. The plate is still flush to the body but will investigate further. Thanks for the info.
                              Last edited by Treff; 06-12-2015, 22:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X