N*k*n pushes the boundaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N*k*n pushes the boundaries

Nikon has now shown its hand with the release of the D5 and more surprising the D500.
    I now await with baited breath how Canon will respond.

Hopefully the 1Dx mkII and 5D IV will be push forward and finally get a release date or at least get some real facts of their specifications to look forward too, or will they be lagging behind everybody else before they're even released.

If nothing else it will lead to exciting times for Canon users in 2016 as they will surely not let Nikon or even Sony have all its own way?

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: N*k*n pushes the boundaries

read the specs on the D500 paul and while in some respects and for some users its the dogs doodads when you get down to practical terms its not that much more advanced than a 1D4 ,while i was using nikon i found the system pretty advanced with good quality photos produced but the cameras while more advanced tended to be full of unusable or un-needed gimmicks .and ergomically canon are more user friendly .

at the end of the day they are just tools and each job type needs its own tool

Comment

For me the most interesting N camera at the moment is the D750 and that's a year old! I like the 6D but the 750 is a much better specced camera for around the same cost. That said now that I'm quite heavily invested in Canon glass if I was to go anywhere else next it'd (at the moment) be to Sony and the A7 range with an adapter.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Good comments Guys.
        I'm certainly not going to jump ship as i love my Canon gear,but i also love the latest tech so get quite excited by all this stuff.

Paul
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

I am certainly not in the league of many of the forum members but I do like my Canon gear as it is user friendly for me. All what I want from my photography is to take decent pictures that are not only sharp but technically OK.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
            All what I want from my photography is to take decent pictures that are not only sharp but technically OK.
            I think that's all most hobbyists want Nat. It's just a little frustrating the way that Canon seem to be behind the curve with regards sensors and also appear to detune some bodies to create more of a differential. After all as the biggest SLR producer by a country mile you'd think they'd have an edge. And apart from the sensor most of the functions are purely software constrained.
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

This years NEC camera show is shaping up to be a blinder wonder what canon will pull out for it

Comment

I suspect the new Nikon D5 is back illuminated (BI) type and hence the native ISO being up in the 100,000 mark and with very low noise. As far as I'm aware Nikon do not make their own sensors so I wonder who is making it - they have extensively used Sony in the past but Sony might want to keep its full frame BI sensor for exclusive use in the game changing A7R2.
                BI sensors ( like the one on the Sony A7R2) have nearly all of its 'on sensor' electronics and wiring behind the light capturing pixels. This is unlike the normal CMOS & CCD sensors used by Canon and Nikon which have all the wiring and electronics on the front of the sensor chip and hence capable of interfering with incoming light photons ( which interestingly is how the eye works and why the human retinae has such a low efficiency in terms of number of incoming photons actually be registered ).
                Of course, it's a lot more difficult to produce a sensor chip with light sensitive pixels at the front and on board amplifiers and wiring at the back. It would be quite exciting if Canon can make its own BI sensor - time will tell - let's keep our fingers crossed.
                James
                James Boardman Woodend
                www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

It would be quite exciting if Canon can make its own BI sensor - time will tell - let's keep our fingers crossed.
                  Think it might be wishful thinking for Canon to be forward thinking as they've not really shown that in the past few years.

Latest on the 1Dx at the moment is an April release and will come with 22mp which is fine.Just hope they match Nikon's number of focusing points and the spread of them across the screen.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                    Think it might be wishful thinking for Canon to be forward thinking as they've not really shown that in the past few years.

Latest on the 1Dx at the moment is an April release and will come with 22mp which is fine.Just hope they match Nikon's number of focusing points and the spread of them across the screen.

Paul
                    If this speculation is correct

Then number of AF points will be less
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Certainly looks that way, hopefully they can push them all a bit wider apart as i find the focus points a bit central even on my 5D so could do with a slightly wider focusing area.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                        I suspect the new Nikon D5 is back illuminated (BI) type and hence the native ISO being up in the 100,000 mark and with very low noise. As far as I'm aware Nikon do not make their own sensors so I wonder who is making it - they have extensively used Sony in the past but Sony might want to keep its full frame BI sensor for exclusive use in the game changing A7R2.
                        James
                        Nikon claim that the sensor is their own design, as they have for previous models, though they don't openly claim to have made it so it's quite possible that Sony made it under contract - after all Nikon make a lot of optical equipment used in the microchip and sensor manufacturing sector so it might be a case of 'you scratch our back and we'll scratch yours'...

Unless I can manage more than two balls and a bonus on the Lottery I won't be buying either of the new models soon...
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

have you seen what Canon rumours are posting - 15 stops !!! bracketing photos could be a thing of the past !!

Just hope it gets moved onto the 5Dx :O)
                          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                          X