Image Recording Quality??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Recording Quality??

Out of interest, and taking into account the average size of pictures that one displays, or prints.
    What setting Image-Recording Quality do most be set their camara
    L (A3 or larger)
    M (A5 - A4)
    S (A5 or smaller)

Is there any advantage to sticking to the default setting "L" when most pictures taken are of a smaller size.

Re: Image Recording Quality??

James I suspect you're referring to jpg quality recording.
    Personally if I was recording jpg I would use "L". However I always shoot Raw rather than jpg but you would then need to use post processing software which is another learning curve. Canons in house processing software Digital Photo Professional (DPP) is supplied free with their cameras. It can be downloaded from Canon if you don't already have it.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Put it this way - if you record the image at the highest quality and size you can always downscale or crop into the image but it's not at all wise to do it the other way around.
      Hope that helps
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I presume that the only advantage to shooting at lower 'quality' is that you would fit more images onto a card. So now that large capacity cards are relatively cheap, I see no reason not to shoot at L.
        That all said, stick with this forum and we'll have you shooting in RAW and all of the benefits that accrue from that.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
          I presume that the only advantage to shooting at lower 'quality' is that you would fit more images onto a card. So now that large capacity cards are relatively cheap, I see no reason not to shoot at L.
          That all said, stick with this forum and we'll have you shooting in RAW and all of the benefits that accrue from that.
          agree, cards are so cheap so why take a lower quality image
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

For my freelance work (Local papers)i only need to shoot in M-RAW as i don't need bigger files and print sizes only go up to a max of 12x8 with 99% buying at 9x6 so more than good enough for prints of that size.

I've also in the past shot with 2 cards one set to S-RAW and the other L-Raw the small files were just for website images /the large files for magazines.

I only use L-Raw myself when taking family and holiday shots.

So in some cases it's good have the flexibility in different file sizes.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I've always taken the view that it's best to shoot in the highest quality possible as it's easy to compress where necessary but the opposite is impossible.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                I've always taken the view that it's best to shoot in the highest quality possible as it's easy to compress where necessary but the opposite is impossible.
                This is my view, though I do consider using sRaw when I shoot bursts as the buffer on the 7D2 only holds a dozen or so Raw before being full. But then I do that so rarely that it's not worth losing the quality overall for the sake of a 31 shot burst...
                Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 22-03-2016, 13:21.
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages in using the larger files, buffer does slow down but on the plus side the amount of information available is better/bigger and try and crop on a smaller file will soon show you why larger is the better choice but you really need to look at using raw to be honest and as stated cards are cheap enough to facilitate large or raw files to me its a no brainer to use smaller files and I always use raw

Gord

Comment

I default to L for JPEG and raw. I've only ever gone smaller on rare occasions when running out of card space...

Also I tend to be a bit sceptical of how accurately the camera can downsize the sensor image vs PS or similar.
                    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I was indeed, but its always interesting getting other members views. With regard to the software, yes, I have it downloaded: just need to find time to work with it. Many thanks for the information.
                      Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                      James I suspect you're referring to jpg quality recording.
                      Personally if I was recording jpg I would use "L". However I always shoot Raw rather than jpg but you would then need to use post processing software which is another learning curve. Canons in house processing software Digital Photo Professional (DPP) is supplied free with their cameras. It can be downloaded from Canon if you don't already have it.

Comment

Yes, I see that now, but was interested in other members experiences. Many thanks for your views.

Comment

I have never considered using Raw, so it will be an area for me to explore. Many thanks for your input.
                          Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                          This is my view, though I do consider using sRaw when I shoot bursts as the buffer on the 7D2 only holds a dozen or so Raw before being full. But then I do that so rarely that it's not worth losing the quality overall for the sake of a 31 shot burst...

Comment

You have given me a lot to consider, Thank you.
                            Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                            For my freelance work (Local papers)i only need to shoot in M-RAW as i don't need bigger files and print sizes only go up to a max of 12x8 with 99% buying at 9x6 so more than good enough for prints of that size.

I've also in the past shot with 2 cards one set to S-RAW and the other L-Raw the small files were just for website images /the large files for magazines.

I only use L-Raw myself when taking family and holiday shots.

So in some cases it's good have the flexibility in different file sizes.

Paul

Comment

I have never considered using Raw, so it will be an area for me to explore
                              unless you are shooting to a deadline and shots need to be uploaded to an agency or newspaper as quickly as possible after they are shot, then RAW is the way to go. If you have a DSLR and only shoot jpeg ,then you might just as well just use a point and shoot compact camera

stan
                              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                              flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X