Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice

Just need some advice, on my Memory card I have the camera set to Large for storing the photos, but would it be better if it was set to Medium, Thank you too.

Re: Advice

I would assume if your using brust mode will shoot more, but if not I don't see any advantage to going to medium I want as much data as possible to play with
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks for that Ian, I will leave it on Large then and take it off burst mode for a bit too.

Comment

I would try with both and see if theres any difference
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Will do

Comment

I have set mine at "Large" for the reasons mentioned by Ian. You need more information on the card.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Don't get your definitions confused either...

Terms like Large, Medium and Small refer to the image dimensions, ie X pixels by Y pixels. For instance if the camera has a 6000x4000 pixel sensor than that would the size of the image saved as Large whereas Medium might be half size (3000x2000) and Small perhaps a quarter of the original (1500x1000). While this may save considerable space on the card it will limit your crop and print size options...

File compression (for JPEGs) generally uses terms like Fine, Normal, Standard and Basic and refers to the amount of compression applied to the image data - with JPEGs that is effectively how much the data is averaged across the image. Top quality settings like fine apply the least compression and are indistinguishable form uncompressed files. At the lowest quality settings like standard and/or basic the compression levels are quite high though visually you generally can't tell the difference from a high quality picture without very careful inspection. Issues only arise when highly compressed images are subject to post processing where they cannot take much, if any, adjustment before image quality suffers. Best quality files on the other hand can survive a surprising amount of adjustment before IQ suffers.

On those odd occasions where I save to JPEG rather than raw I stick to the largest image size and the highest quality - I have had occasion to rescue badly taken JPEGs with good results that would not have been achievable if I'd started from a lower size/quality...

Memory is so cheap these days that there seems little point compromising you images for a bit of card space...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
                Just need some advice, on my Memory card I have the camera set to Large for storing the photos, but would it be better if it was set to Medium, Thank you too.
                Really depends on what you do with your images once take.
                I don't need to use full files for my freelance work so i have my camera set to M Raw i get more images on the card that way and it makes uploading/downloading also a little quicker so saves me a little more time ,plus the papers only print up to a max of 12x8 so you would never notice any drop in IQ.

When using my camera for personal use though i would but the files back to full size as time and maxing out my memory cards and uploading is not a real issue.

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Working...
                X