Airshow Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airshow Advice

Hi folks just some more advice from you all again, in a couple of months I am off to Eastbourne Airshow, we always sit on the beach near the bandstand. Last year I used the 55-250mm IS lens and was happy with some shots, but now I have the 70-200mm f4 IS would that be a better choice to use on the 70D. Forgot to say, I do crop too.

Re: Airshow Advice

You probably want a bit more reach than the 200mm try using a 1.4 extender if you can
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

200would probably be ok for fly pasts in front of you but is going to be a bit short for most. When we go to the Bournemouth show, als shooting from the beach, I go with my 70-200 and 1.4x and that seems to cover the majority of situations.

Re settings, for prop aircraft you need a slow shutter to ensure some prop blur so shoot tv mode and start off at 1/320 but be prepared to go slower. Jets need a fast shutter so either set TVs at min of 1/1000 or shoot AV as against the sky you should get a fast shutter anyway.

The other thing to remember is that when you shoot against the sky you are likely to need to dial in some positive exposure compensation to get a good exposure on the aircraft

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
        200would probably be ok for fly pasts in front of you but is going to be a bit short for most. When we go to the Bournemouth show, als shooting from the beach, I go with my 70-200 and 1.4x and that seems to cover the majority of situations.

Re settings, for prop aircraft you need a slow shutter to ensure some prop blur so shoot tv mode and start off at 1/320 but be prepared to go slower. Jets need a fast shutter so either set TVs at min of 1/1000 or shoot AV as against the sky you should get a fast shutter anyway.

The other thing to remember is that when you shoot against the sky you are likely to need to dial in some positive exposure compensation to get a good exposure on the aircraft

Stan
        Thank you both very much, just a shame I don`t have an extender. Just wish my 75-300mm worked fine on the 70D, as it plays up.

Comment

How about hiring a canon 100-400 for a couple of day's (about £55 plus postage both way's (3 day's))
          Regards
          Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
          7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
          24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Man View Post
            How about hiring a canon 100-400 for a couple of day's (about £55 plus postage both way's (3 day's))
            Thanks for that, but don`t fancy a big lens on. Thinking I will have the 70-200mm on the 70D and the 75-300mm on the 1100D

Comment

Dave,
              Why not hire an extender from Lens 4 Hire?
              David

Comment

Take plenty of well charged batteries too!! You'll need them as it takes a while to learn the panning/shutter speed combo
                Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thank you both, thinking of getting a battery grip off Ebay, think it is the Meike one. Plus is spot metering best ?

Comment

Spot or center weighted is what I use, problems you might encounter this year is the display line will have moved further back post Shoreham.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                      Spot or center weighted is what I use, problems you might encounter this year is the display line will have moved further back post Shoreham.
                      Thank you Tony, Shoreham is a day we will never forget, I still look at photos I took of the crash.

Comment

I very rarely use anything apart from evaluative and rely on experience to adjust the exposure compensation. If you used spot metering, unless the aircraft conforms to a "mid tone", I think you would still be needing compensation to ensure a correct exposure

Stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan, will remember that for the show

Comment

Never had any problems Stan and I take thousands of aircraft photos, it's my main interest.. :)

I know what you mean Dave, I've seen the odd crash and have come close to being in the odd one myself, 40 years in the aviation industry, both military and civilian, you lose a few friends on the way and I have recovered and rebuilt a myriad of crashed aircraft. It goes with the territory I suppose.
                            Last edited by TonyT; 17-06-2016, 22:46.
                            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                            X