Image etiquette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image etiquette?

As a new member, just wondering what the etiquette is here regarding images? Is critique only offered if explicitly requested?

By critique I mean genuine and constructive comment which, in the opinion of the author, might improve an image or provide an alternative interpretation.

Guidance appreciated!

Re: Image etiquette?

Good question. For me, if someone posts something up into an Internet forum such as this, then they are either implicitly inviting critique, or they are very naive to expect either total silence (which would seem pointless) or universal love (which is unlikely even for the very best).
    However, if you are referring to a recent post by Bo, I too will be much more careful in my wording to an obvious newbie to the forum in order to encourage participation. Rightly or wrongly, you can be a bit more robust (and teasing) with the more familiar faces who you know won't take offence.
    Of course, it goes without saying that on the best forums (like this one) any criticism will be constructive and well meant. I am also reasonably active on another forum, which we all have a 'I am happy to be criticised' box to tick in our profiles. Most tick yes, but to be honest there is never any critique, just universal love. Which is all very well but a bit sterile and when you see a very below par image getting loads of likes it slightly devalues from the really good ones.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Just realised my last sentence above makes me sound like a bitter and twisted old man with delusions of grandeur. No comments on that please...
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Thanks AlexR! - my question is really prompted by the majority of image responses I've seen appear to fall into the "nice shot" category and I've seen very few critiques. Just want to ensure I understand what the "rules" are here - don't want to get sent to the naughty corner!

A number of years ago I offered critique of a photo website and received an extremely offensive and abusive PM in response - consequently I have never offered feedback on any other website even when I notice errors.

Comment

Yes,good question Enigma.

I think in general we try to pass constructive comments on posted images and in general it is expected that if you do post something here you are asking for feedback, be it positive or negative. I agree with Alex that constant "wow that's fab!" comments are sterile and ultimately do not help us to improve. (Not that I get lots of those !!!)

What made me pause was that Amanda specifically said she had made no alterations and in the light of a recent storm of postings after Daisy M introduced himself I wondered if Amanda was looking for comment or not.

I've done over a 1000 posts on here now and I hope and believe have improved as a photographer since joining the forum. But that doesn't mean I have forgotten how frightening it was at first to put my efforts in front of you all. ....

Hope this helps.
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Enigma- our posts have overridden.

Sorry to hear you were given an abusive PM- I presume this was not on this forum since we seem to pride ourselves (rather smug I know) on being fair in response to comments/criticism made by others.

Believe me we have had some fierce comments in the past followed by some fierce responses - and will probably continue to do so. After all we don't all have the same tastes. However very often it's along the lines of "would this be a good idea?" reply "No- because i wanted to show this aspect" kind of discussion and this seems to me a healthy exchange of views!
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

And I should have said, that by providing critique I am in no way ever placing myself 'above' the person I am critiquing. We all have views, opinions, likes and dislikes and yours and mine are just as valid as the 'best' photographer on here. And it is constantly amazing to me how we all see things differently.
              As a matter of interest, when I started posting here regularly, I did set myself the challenge of never just saying 'I like that' but to give at least one pointer of some thing I particularly liked. And if I saw something that I felt could be improved I would try to be very specific about it. This was to force me to analyse images to see what I like about them in order to improve my own. Now, I haven't managed to always apply that philosophy, but when I have time it is a useful tool. And I certainly haven't always applied my lessons. In fact, just before posting my of my images, I usually pause and think 'what would I say about that one if someone else posted it?'. And then after coming up with a bunch of criticism I shrug my shoulders and press the button anyway.
              Canon EOS 7D

Comment

It was "another forum" lunarbo ... I have not (yet) posted any images here but have asked some questions and have received a range of helpful responses which is definitely a sign of a friendly place.

Comment

Which is all very well but a bit sterile and when you see a very below par image getting loads of likes it slightly devalues from the really good ones.[/QUOTE]

I must agree with Alex here. Such comments are useless and of no help to the member. As a rule, I will NOT comment if I don't like or agree with the picture. I don't generally bother with quite a number of the threads here which do not personally appeal to me. This is a personal choice. I must also say that I am not an expert and hence prefer not to comment if the subject is way beyond my understanding & capabilities. On the positive side, if I say I like a picture that is a very genuine comment.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I've been on this forum for a very long time. There are a lot of images being posted and over the years I've seen images posted with many views but no comments, which I don't feel that is good or you look at an image and many people have have given their opinion so it doesn't make sense to repeat the obvious. Then there are some images that are ok images, then there are some that the only thing that comes out is wow. But my feeling is, if you stop and look at someone's image, let them know that you did spend time to view their work.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X