Anyone willing to risk 1TB of images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone willing to risk 1TB of images?

SanDisk just announced 1TB SD ... prototype only at moment ... anyone ever going to put that many eggs in one basket?

Re: Anyone willing to risk 1TB of images?

Nope not me. My cards are no bigger than 32GB and I'm more than happy with that

Made for high quality video stuff??? Wouldn't most users of this have dual cards anyway?
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Me neither! I can remember when anyone using 8GB cards was regarded as insane! I generally have used 16s and the odd 32 but recently bought a pair (CF + SD) of 64s and I think they may well represent the limit of my risk taking. These days of course we have the safety of dual slots as you say. I have only ever had one card go bad - during RIAT with a single slot body towards the end of a great photo day ... heartbreaking.

Comment

As sensor res keeps increasing these size of cards maybe need to store decent amount of images. My cards are also 32gb.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Recently bought a 64GB SD card for my 70D, and even using top resolution (LRaw + JPeg) capture the shot remaining counter stayed at 999 for the whole of our recent Cornwall holiday! Can't think of any reason why I'd ever need a 1TB card (and I don't think I would trust it either, even with a reputable company like SanDisk).
          John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Here is a quote from the press release:

"Western Digital Corporation today unveiled its SanDiskŪ 1TB terabyte (TB) SDXC™ card prototype at Photokina 2016, the world's leading trade fair for photo and video professionals. With increasing demand for high resolution content, such as 4K and 8K, the company continues to push the boundaries of technology with solutions that support the rapid growth of data-intensive demands."
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Quite correct Robert, it's a technological investment to meet future demands.

Around thirty years ago I was taken to task by our IT manager for ordering a computer with, what he saw, an outrageous amount of hard disc capacity and why couldn't I be satisfied with what everyone else had which were half the size? My new PC had a staggering 20 MB hard drive - i.e. LESS than the size of one current RAW image! Fortunately, development doesn't stand still.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

I suppose one could equate this to hyper sports cars which can do 200 mph! When do you do that?

Comment

Working...
                X