Comments on members photos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments on members photos!

I have noticed that most members either give a "thumbs up" sign, or say "nice", "well done", etc to a member's photo that they like. I think it would be more useful to members if a positive (or negative) comment is given ,to give a short reason for their comment. I find that,IMHO, it is rather meaningless to say "nice", "well done", "thumbs up" etc when giving a positive comment. I don't know whether the members agree with me or not but I have started to give a reason why I like a certain photo. I don't bother to give any comment if I don't like an image.

Am I talking nonsese here or is this a way forward?

Thanks

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Comments on members photos!

I am new here and have not posted any images so far so I am conscious that I may not be best placed to comment. I did post a question regarding image etiquette and received helpful replies.

I definitely don't mean to offend anyone but, my general opinion is that this forum seems to be a mutual back-slapping club with most images receiving the generic feedback mentioned by Nat. I have seen some stunning images posted here but also quite a lot of merely average images.

Perhaps the majority of the images are simply posted purely for sharing - in which case average is ok.

I will comment on images I like and usually try to give a reason why I like a particular image. However, I don't think I would dare to comment regarding images which I felt had scope for improvement because I'm not convinced such feedback is wanted. I apologise right now for that comment but I'm merely sharing how I feel.

The only circumstance I think I would comment would be if the image poster specifically invited critique.

Finally, to be clear, I'm talking about providing honest and constructive feedback, not about pulling someone's efforts to pieces.

Comment

I agree 100% with what Enigma has said. I would like to add and say that I am not best qualified to give any negative comments as I will leave that to the more experienced members.I would rather not comment at all in these cases.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I am also relatively new here and eventually plucked up courage to post a few pictures, mostly ones that I thought were at least "average" (I've certainly got loads that I'm happy to keep as snapshots but wouldn't post here for critique at all!).

Anyway, I openly welcomed all comments & criticism on the ones I did post as I am trying to learn how to improve my photography and people here have wealth of experience and knowledge. Some were certainly constructive criticism (and hopefully I will learn from that) and some were just a "nice" or a "well done". However, for me at this stage of my learning they were very nice to receive and much appreciated. On the other hand, I don't have the experience or an "eye" to comment too much on others' images, over and above a "thumbs up", so mostly won't bother.

I do find that, if I've not been online for a couple of days, that when I click on "New Posts" there are a lot of "nice" and reciprocal "thanks" type posts which can be a bit time consuming to go through (I try to look at most of them just in case there is something I can learn from) and I am guessing that is where Nat is coming from. However, I think that it would be difficult to differentiate between a "nice" that is extremely useful (and flattering!) to a newbie like myself, and one that is posted on the more experienced posters' images, so I think I'd say keep them.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

As an occasional visitor, though more regular of late, there are often so many new pictures posted that if I were try to comment on all, let alone write even a few points of critique, I'd not have time to do anything else... Since we don't have a 'Like' button on the forum a thumbs-up or other smiley icon is a great timesaver for when I don't have any particular comment to make or feel one needs to be made.

I do agree that occasionally the forum can be a bit over-nice - or should that be under-critical - about other members pix but on the whole that's rather better than some of the mean spirited backstabbing forums that also exist. As regards the thank you posts I'd also agree that wading through large numbers of them can be a bit tedious. With my images I tend to try and give it a few days until everyone who's going to comment has done and then than do a 'thanks all' type post - it may be a little less personal but it's simpler and still an honest appreciation of other members comments and time.

The form works well as is and far better than many others - long may it remain so...
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
            I will comment on images I like and usually try to give a reason why I like a particular image. However, I don't think I would dare to comment regarding images which I felt had scope for improvement because I'm not convinced such feedback is wanted.
            I think this raises the question "why post photos in a forum?". I was talking to a moderator of a different forum some time ago about people taking offence their photo was criticised and said if I submit picture, It's because I want people to suggest a different crop, raise the shadows, tone down the greens or whatever.
            If the best way to post on here is via Flickr, I wonder why some don't leave it at that, then they can choose who they want to receive comments from but surely if it goes on the the forum, it's inviting comments, positive or negative.
            I do agree with Nat that a like or thumbs up is pretty meaningless, as is saying 'great shot' to a run of the mill shot but as has already been pointed out, there are too many shots to comment on all of them.
            As Enigma has said, there should be no problem with honest opinions, you don't have to tear a photo to bits.

John

Comment

To be honest, I just don't think we should be proscriptive about what people do or don't say in their posts. We all have our own reasons for posting images and comments. Some like to look and walk away, some like to simply acknowledge that they have viewed, some want to congratulate and some want to share their expertise. With many shades in between. Just as some people post many images a week, some a few a month, some rarely and some never. There is no right or wrong; we all do what is right for us and we rub along together. And the sum of all those parts is a great forum that works well.
              I will just make a couple of points, though: to those who think they aren't qualified to offer advice. You are. If there is something you don't like or think could be improved, that opinion is just as valid as the next persons. And I find that articulating what could be improved is a valuable lesson in itself.
              And secondly I am now depressed. The last images I posted up (of Florence) were very well received and I was pleased with the universally positive comments I got. But now I realise that I should have balanced the 8 nice comments against the 160 people who viewed the images but said nothing, and who I now have to assume didn't much like them but didn't want to offend me.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

The thumbs up was originally added to encourage those new members who for one reason or another didnt feel qualified or were just too shy to give feedback and a way of acknowledging that someone had at least taken the trouble to look at a shot. There is nothing worse than posting an image, good or bad and getting no feedback whatsoever so the thumbs up is better than nothing. The other all too common response is "good shot" or similar...why do you think it is a good shot ??

However having said that there are far too few members making any sort of comment on the forum these days so a thumbs up is better than nothing at all

I don't bother to give any comment if I don't like an image
                but why not - you say why you like a shot why not say why you don't like a particular shot - they both come under the banner of critique.

To me a forum is all about learning and improving, so critique both positive and negative is good. If you just want to share your shots then flickr and facebook are the place for those. If you post 10 or sometimes more shots on a thread then there is no way to give meaningful feedback. I think the only forum where that can work is in the locations threads where a variety of shots can give a better feel for the particular location
                Last edited by Stan; 10-10-2016, 15:52.
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                  And secondly I am now depressed. The last images I posted up (of Florence) were very well received and I was pleased with the universally positive comments I got. But now I realise that I should have balanced the 8 nice comments against the 160 people who viewed the images but said nothing, and who I now have to assume didn't much like them but didn't want to offend me.
                  I wouldn't fret that much... A good many of those views are likely to be automated bots trawling the net rather than real people. On top of that the actual number of really active members compared to the occasional browsers let alone the total membership is probably quite low - and it tends only to be the more active members who comment.
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

John

Comment

To be honest, I just don't think we should be proscriptive about what people do or don't say in their posts. We all have our own reasons for posting images and comments. Some like to look and walk away, some like to simply acknowledge that they have viewed, some want to congratulate and some want to share their expertise. With many shades in between. Just as some people post many images a week, some a few a month, some rarely and some never. There is no right or wrong; we all do what is right for us and we rub along together. And the sum of all those parts is a great forum that works well.
                      I will just make a couple of points, though: to those who think they aren't qualified to offer advice. You are. If there is something you don't like or think could be improved, that opinion is just as valid as the next persons. And I find that articulating what could be improved is a valuable lesson in itself.
                      You are being a bit harsh on the comments on your Florence set (he says as a commentator!!!) But... they were lovely!!!

I have always appreciated when anyone here takes the time to comment on my photographs, even if it is just a thumbs up, because at least they have made the effort. I certainly appreciate constructive criticism, and indeed often try out many of the suggestions made. Some comments wind me up, but then I have put the photographs out there for criticism, so it is as well to take the negative as the positive!

Recently I have been trying, when I do comment to make a more reasoned commentary or suggestion. Only once has someone taken an extremely negative view of that, so on balance I will continue. But that said I don't want to be one of those annoying people who always finds fault...

Hey ho - horses for courses!

Richard
                      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

There are so many photos posted that I cannot spare the time to write a critique or explain what pulled me in or what I don't quite like... So if I take the time to view a photo and I like it, I say so, liking a photo is a personal choice, Should I have to explain why I like something?.... No.. I hope not... So if I offend someone by not explaining why I like it then I apologise in advance... I will try and add an extra sentence, time allowing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by supergeeman View Post
                          There are so many photos posted that I cannot spare the time to write a critique or explain what pulled me in or what I don't quite like... So if I take the time to view a photo and I like it, I say so, liking a photo is a personal choice, Should I have to explain why I like something?.... No.. I hope not... So if I offend someone by not explaining why I like it then I apologise in advance... I will try and add an extra sentence, time allowing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
                          No body can ever comment on everything - especially if they have any other interests! Comment where you want, when you want!!!
                          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

is there anything wrong in just appreciating photo and saying well done ? no - we are humans and if we like something we should just say so without having to give a blow by blow breakdown on why

What is a great shame is the members that post images and respond to there image but never get involved in anyone else photos - thats a real shame here
                            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Some very good points being said, must admit I am guilty of looking at a photo and thinking, yes I like that even if I don`t say. I will change on that though. Lately I have been taking photos of the horses while up on the South Downs that I am happy with, but for some reason have not put them up here, when we come back in a bit from our walk I will. As at the moment I am really enjoying taking photos of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X