Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigma 150-600, sport vs contemporary- help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sigma 150-600, sport vs contemporary- help needed.

James, why don't you hire a Sigma sport lens for a day or so and see whether it is one you like to carry around!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

read all with interest, have a tamron 150-600 and some retirement money to spend, considering the sigma s but any thoughts on the new tamron g2 version against the sigma s.

Comment

Seems there are noises about Sigma increasing prices by up to 28% in Europe from early January ... mentioned on both Canon and Nikon rumers websites ...

Comment

Originally posted by haydnj View Post
          read all with interest, have a tamron 150-600 and some retirement money to spend, considering the sigma s but any thoughts on the new tamron g2 version against the sigma s.
          As I said earlier I found it slow to focus ,I have tried the tamron mk1 ,the sigma C,And own the sport .so I think I'm pretty well versed to comment ,I tried the new tamron mk2 at the photo show an my thoughts were c,mon on hurry up and focus ,honestly it was painfully slow

Comment

Like yourself James I spent some time debating the contemporary or sport question, finally deciding that I should buy the sport.
            I duly turned up at the dealer for a hands on inspection and then bought the contemporary.
            The C. is not a light lens ( I am not young and have never been especially strong!) but I decided the S. was too heavy, too heavy to use as a walkabout lens and that any slight improvement in image quality would be negated by the fact that I should probably have left the lens at home.

ps. If you have not yet purchased a lens I might be selling mine shortly, complete with its box and an outdoor photography neoprene lens cover as I have recently purchased a s/h sigma 120-300 f2.8, which I love

Comment

Originally posted by NS3230 View Post
              Like yourself James I spent some time debating the contemporary or sport question, finally deciding that I should buy the sport.
              I duly turned up at the dealer for a hands on inspection and then bought the contemporary.
              The C. is not a light lens ( I am not young and have never been especially strong!) but I decided the S. was too heavy, too heavy to use as a walkabout lens and that any slight improvement in image quality would be negated by the fact that I should probably have left the lens at home.

ps. If you have not yet purchased a lens I might be selling mine shortly, complete with its box and an outdoor photography neoprene lens cover as I have recently purchased a s/h sigma 120-300 f2.8, which I love
              O.M.G so you didn't get the sports lens as it was in your words to heavy for a walkabout lens ,but you have now bought and love the 120.300 f2.8 which is virtually the same weight and size ,and a lens which I admit to finding to heavy when my son had one .somewhere in this theres logic but I can't see it I'm afraid

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                As I said earlier I found it slow to focus ,I have tried the tamron mk1 ,the sigma C,And own the sport .so I think I'm pretty well versed to comment ,I tried the new tamron mk2 at the photo show an my thoughts were c,mon on hurry up and focus ,honestly it was painfully slow
                thanks for your comment looks like santa needs room for the sigma s then

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  I've read reviews on the G2 that say it's faster than the original to focus, and this over something more than a quick trial at a photo show. Who knows until they use the lens with their camera in conditions under which they use it? Or run a proper comparison in the field?
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

You are quite correct in all you say there Jeff.
                    I would say that initially or possibly even now, I thought I would probably hold onto both lenses, but I do have a wife who is not overly happy with my extravagance and I am attempting to comply and restrict my lens collection to a few real 'keepers'!
                    Initial tests seem to show that even using a 1.4x on the sigma focus is quicker whilst I have always loved larger aperture, shallow dof images.
                    Also it is not a true walkabout lens, not that the 150-600 is for me, though with the black rapid strap and a monopod I have managed a five hour stint chasing owls
                    Only time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                    X