Camera Club Christmas Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Club Christmas Party

Our camera club christmas party is getting a bit stale with the same format year after year. It is held in the same venue as the meetings, which is fine, members bring food for a sit down buffet and during the evening there are a couple of "quizzes" and a "guess how many sweets in the jar"

The committee are looking for new ideas, so if you are a member of a club, what do you do ?

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Camera Club Christmas Party

I'm a member of Haddington Camera Club, East Lothian. For many years now we've always had a "social evening" at a local hotel/restaurant (makes me wonder if the Club meetings during the rest of the year can be classified as "anti-social evenings"!). Our members come from across East Lothian so until a few years ago we went to different venues in the county so that travelling for members was evened out. There's a dearth of good places to eat so we've been to the same hotel for the past couple of years. It isn't a formal do by any means apart from the President welcoming everyone and hoping they have good night. It isn't restricted to members only as partners are included. Out of a membership of 50/60 we get an attendance of about 25/30.

I hope this maybe gives you some ideas, Stan.

Scotsdave

PS I'll be heading out tonight for this year's do!
    EOS 5D; EOS 7D; 50mm f1.8 (mk I); 28/80mm f3.5/5.6 (Mk IV); 24/105mm f4 L IS; 70/200mm f4 L IS; 1.4 X TC; Sigma 10/20mm f3.5 DC HSM; Sigma 18/50mm f2.8/4.5 DC OS HSM; Speedlite 430EX II.

Comment

Thanks Dave

That's a good start

flickr

Comment

Not in a club but my idea is as you probably have a raffle etc........

Star prize what ever it is, get a cheap and I am talking possible a cheap old 1mp camera with a built in flash, the naffer the better as it makes you work harder...... someone must have one, and pass it around the club members on the night, give them an allotted time to own it and TAKE ONE SHOT, after the party put them all onto the web etc and get each member to vote once or first, second and third choices.... the person who produced the most humorous and funny shot of the evening wins..... It is both topical, different from the norm, relevant, damned funny if Alcohol cuts in, and you are judged by your piers....
        Last edited by TonyT; 17-12-2016, 19:55.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Other thing is if you all like Chinese or Indian etc ask at local restaurants, we used to in the RAF book tables and they would do taster selections, so you would get sample's on trays of different dishes for you all to try on the table, you got a filling meal, different meals and it wasn't expensive, plus you are sharing amongst the group so is a kindred spirit building.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony, more good ideas

In the past we did a disposable camera competition where members had a camera for a couple of weeks during the year and all the images would be printed and voted at the party but your idea is great and something different and more immediate

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              Thanks Tony, more good ideas

In the past we did a disposable camera competition where members had a camera for a couple of weeks during the year and all the images would be printed and voted at the party but your idea is great and something different and more immediate
              Don't forget to sell the camera to them for the shot, as you would with a raffle ticket, but limit it to the amount of shots, you can do it on image numbers against members in fact you could sell say 5 shots etc to one member, thus increasing revenue.

Comment

Working...
              X