Words of wisdom please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Words of wisdom please.

As advised on this forum, as a late Christmas present to myself, I have purchased a Kenko 1.4 conversion lens to go with my EF 75-300, any advice on how to use this combination would be appreciated. Dave

Re: Words of wisdom please.

put it on ,make sure it works .sometimes third party tc's don't work with camera bodies

Comment

There's a compatibility chart on the Kenko site:
      http://www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/Tot..._Table_PDF.pdf

Unless I'm going mad (or because it's towards the end of a long, hard day at work) I cannot see the 75-300 on there.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Plus, your max aperture will be f/8.0 instead of f/5.6, so it may not fully work with your camera body. Only a few bodies will auto- focus at f/8.0

Comment

Chris, after a hard day's work, your brain is better than mine (semi retired only used to live). Oops I have purchased the wrong one, looked it up, will the 1.4 hd work with my camera & lens but I thought my last one was correct. This Was the one recommended on here, but cannot see it for my camera 700d? HELP
          Last edited by Daisy M; 05-01-2017, 07:59.

Comment

I'm not sure I can help except to say that the camera should be OK (I also have a Kenko TC and it's fine with my 750D) and just because Kenko don't have it on their compatibility list, I'd assume that it doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, just that it's not supported in any way, shape or form. The only thing to do is try it.

And my camera isn't one that will auto-focus at f/8, although it does actually have a good stab at it when paired with my 100-400 at full reach.
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Chris, thanks for all this help, I am getting so mixed up, the 1.4 hd is fine for my camera it is the 75-300 lenses that isn't listed. Looking back at when I put my stonechat/ redstart photo back in November, it was you that recommended I should get the 1.4 hd. Thing is should I spend the extra money & get it or not?

Comment

I assumed that you had already bought it (from your original post) so you could just try it and see if it works or not. A quick Google for Kenko 1.4x and 75-300mm seems to return mixed results. Some people seem to say it works OK.

If you try it and it doesn't work, or you're simply not happy with it, then if you bought it online you can send it back within 14 days, no questions asked under the distance selling regulations. If you bought it from a shop, then I would expect them to be pretty reasonable about a return as you didn't realise that it was an unsupported lens.

The Kenko TCs are useful to some of us because they work with both EF-S and EF lenses, which the Canon ones don't (EF only).

I wasn't aware of which lens you had when I said that a TC is a cheaper option of increasing reach but as ever, any advice you receive from any forum is probably worth exactly how much you paid for it! Caveat emptor, etc.
                Chris

Comment

Sorry Chris , the one I purchased was a MC4 & tried it but it would not focus & then looking back I saw you had suggested the HD so I sent the other one back, ready to order the HD! But needed to get opinions on if it would work or not. Dave

Comment

I doubt very much if it will AF with your lens and camera set up Daisy M , though everything should work except the auto focus I would think .

Comment

Ah, OK - gotcha now
                      Chris

Comment

Looking for positives here, having looked again at the compatibility chart and the fact that some lenses are listed and definitively marked as "Cannot be used", then just because the 75-300 is not there doesn't mean that it won't work at all, just that they've not actually tested it!
                        Chris

Comment

The 75 - 300 is, I believe, the oldest telephoto in the Canon range, which may be why it's not been tested.
                          However, you may not get a/f with the 700 at 300 mm, or it could be slow and unreliable. The camera is only designed to focus with F5.6 or wider lenses. Still, mine does work (a bit slowly) with the 55 - 250 IS STM at the long end (which is also F5.6 like the 75 - 300) on the 100D. As the 100D is basically a slimmed down 700, you might be OK.
                          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

personally i wouldn't bother .the extra length you will gain is not worth the loss of image quality that you would get ,you would be better off looking for a cheaper longer reach lens there are so many to choose from its not worth listing them all .

as you know i have the sigma 150-600mm lens and i really do find that its a one size fits all solution ,you then only need ? a macro and a ultra w/a lens to cover most situations

Comment

Working...
                              X