Recommendations needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations needed

Having moved to Germany in January, I am having to seek out and discover, for myself, resources for my photography. Do any of you have recommendations for good, high quality Photo Labs in the EU? And what about for purchasing accessories in the EU? I have seen several here recommend 7dayshop, but I don't want to be making a trip to Customs to visit our local Euro-leeches every time I make a purchase. Forgive me if I have made some incorrect assumptions about purchases and shipping between the UK and Germany.
    Thanks for your assistance.

Re: Recommendations needed

I thought you could buy anything within the EU without restrictions between EU nations - its a free market so there should be no more duty to pay etc.
    So why not buy from internet outlets/UK shops - may be a small delivery charge but that's not normally a deal breaker.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian. I had misunderstood that if I purchased from outside of Germany, that I would have to pay additional taxes. I am a big fan of internet shopping. I have purchased several things here from German shops including Amazon.de , but, not anything from outside of Germany. While the customs people here are friendly enough, and are only doing their jobs, I am trying to avoid any trips to visit them. I appreciate you clarifying that for me.
      Last edited by Bryan Conner; 16-09-2010, 05:20. Reason: clarification (missing word)

Comment

7DayShop are in the Channel Islands and so are not part of the EU so in theory you will be charged VAT and import duty. There is a minimum amount of personal import items that are exempt from this in all EU states of around 20€ (you will need to confirm the amount for Germany). Items from any EU state should be VAT and import duty free. The biggest problem is that 7Dayshop will only ship to the UK (or they would last time I tried to order something from them).
        --
        Colin
        http://fotos-espana.com
        http://macameraclub.com
        http://turnspain.com

Comment

Thanks Colin. I didn't know that the Channel Islands were not in the EU. Heck, I assumed that 7DayShop was in the UK. That's what I get for assuming things.

Comment

I thought you could buy anything within the EU without restrictions between EU nations - its a free market so there should be no more duty to pay etc.
            In theory that is correct. Problems can arise based on information provided to online merchants from credit card companies regarding internet fraud levels in particular countries within the EU

Some merchants acting on that advice will impose a blanket ban on shipping to some EU countries. Businesses cannot be forced to trade with anyone they dont want to.

Trev

Comment

Working...
            X