Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A photography related pub quiz for you

Not sure if this will work, but here goes-

The other weekend I was involved in running a photography workshop in the Yorkshire Dales, and thought it would be fun to have a photography pub quiz on the Saturday night with teams competing for the coveted P.R.A.T of year award (Photography Related Aptitude Test), it proved popular, so I thought I'd repeat it here on an individual basis. The inspiration for this came from Colin C who ran a quiz for his own photography club.

The quiz ran to 4 rounds of 10 questions, I'll post the first round today (in the next post), and give the answers tomorrow evening, alongside the questions from the second round, and so on over 4 days.

If you keep your own score, at the end of the 4 days the one that has the highest score will receive a virtual P.R.A.T of the year award.

Because Colin very generously let me pinch some of his quiz questions, I'm afraid I'll have to impose lifetime ban on him entering

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: A photography related pub quiz for you

Round 1

In one of the most unforgettable photographs of the 20th Century, a young girl was seen running naked down a road her face contorted with pain. In which war was the picture taken

The f stop number is calculated as the ratio of what to what?
    a) the length of the lens to the film/sensor diagonal
    b) the diameter of the lens aperture to its focal length
    c) the diameter of the lens to the film/sensor diagonal
    d) the area of the lens aperture to the area of the film/sensor

Which of the following shutter speed and aperture combinations is also equivalent to 1/125s @ f11?
    a) 1/1000s @ f2.
    b) 1/500s @ f5.6.
    c) 1/250s @ f16.

Most cameras have four basic exposure modes: auto/program, aperture priority, manual. What is the fourth one?

I’ll give you a name of a band or singer, you give me a name of a song title of theirs which is photography related
    5: Lady Gaga
    6: The Who
    7: The Cure
    8: Jim Croce
    9: Blondie
    10: Rod Stewart
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Les,
      What a great idea...this should be fun !!!!

David
      David

Comment

I don't know about Lady Gaga some of the questions are making me gaga

Great idea keep them coming.

Comment

Answers from Round 1

1: Vietnam War
          2: b) the diameter of the lens aperture to its focal length
          3: b) 1/500s @ f5.6.
          4: Shutter Priority
          5: Paparazzi
          6: Pictures of Lily
          7: Pictures of You
          8: photographs & Memories
          9: Picture This
          10: Every Picture Tells a Story

For those that have stuck with it how did you get on?

Round 2 in the next post

Comment

Round 2

1:
            Opening the aperture by 2 stops lets in twice as much light, true or false

2:
            Which of these transformations can be done to a JPEG file without needing to have it re-encoded (and lose quality) - choose one or more?
            a. rotation by a multiple of 90 degrees
            b. adjust brightness and contrast
            c. sharpen the image
            d. change the DPI value
            e. decrease or increase colour saturation

3:
            Name two uses for the mirror lockup function in a DSLR

4:
            Which super hero worked as a photographer for the Daily Bugle

5:
            Which of these (might be more than one) are advantages of having a large aperture lens?
            a. shallower depth-of-field is possible
            b. allows faster shutter speeds in low light
            c. improved autofocus performance
            d. brighter image in the viewfinder

6:
            If a lens is described as a 'fast' lens, it usually means it has ultrasonic motors to allow fast autofocusing -true or false

7:
            All modern digital SLRs have at least two mirrors -true or false

8:
            In which Italian film of the 60’s did the term ‘Paparazzi ‘ originate

9:
            One of Stalin’s Commissars - Nikolai Yezhov, was famous for ‘not’ appearing in a photograph, why was that.

10:
            Which famous photographer was this quote attributed to ‘You don’t take a photograph, you make it’

Comment

Answers from Round 2

1: False
              2: a & d
              3: cleaning the sensor, reducing camera shake
              4: Spiderman
              5: All of them
              6: False:
              7: true
              8: ‘La Dolce Vita’… One of the characters in the film is a news photographer named Paparazzo
              9: He was 'airbrushed ' out of an image, after he fell from power, he was arrested, shot, and his image removed by the censors.
              10: Ansel Adams

Comment

Round 3

1:
                Most of us are familiar with the term ISO in relation to photography, which stands for International Standards Organisation - which is a combination of the older ASA and DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm), what does ASA stand for

2:
                Which two companies sold the first consumer-oriented digital cameras
                Was it :
                Apple and Kodak
                Panasonic and Nikon
                IBM and Canon

3:
                In respect of digital photography what does ‘irrelevancy’ refer to in the imaging process

4:
                Chaika, Etyud, Smena and Fotokor are all makes of camera from which country

I’ll give you the name of an actor/actress, you give me the name of a film they appeared in as a photographer

5: Julia Roberts
                6: John Malkovich
                7: David Hemmings
                8: James Woods
                9: James Stewart

10:
                You will often hear the terms "lossy" and "lossless" compression. A lossless compression algorithm discards no information. It looks for more efficient ways to represent an image, while making no compromises in accuracy. In contrast, lossy algorithms accept some degradation in the image in order to achieve smaller file size.For each of the following file types, are they generally lossy or lossless
                Tiff
                Jpeg
                Gif
                PNG

Comment

Well I must admit I'm quite underwhelmed by the interest in this

But since I've started, I'll finish

Answers from Round 3

1: American Standards Association
                  2: Apple and Kodak
                  3: Irrelevancy is the name for the meaningless data digital cameras and computers eliminate when compressing a digital image into a smaller file size.
                  4: Russia (USSR)
                  5: Stepmom and/or Closer
                  6: Killing Fields
                  7: Blow-up
                  8: Salvador
                  9: Rear Window
                  10: Lossless
                  Lossy
                  Lossy
                  lossless

Comment

[Fourth (and final) Round

1:
                    Name the type of photography that can supposedly capture your aura?

2:
                    Who is the Patron Saint of Photographers

3:
                    Modern photographers are generally used to using the ‘white balance’ function in their DSLR or photoshop to render specific colours correctly. Name the two methods generally used in camera for film photography.

4:
                    If a ND filter has an optical density of 1.8 how many f.stops reduction would that result in from an exposure without the ND filter

5:
                    What is the common term for the process of adding geographical identification metadata to various media such as photographs

6:
                    What does jpeg stand for

7:
                    What are the fundamental differences in viewing system between a SLR and a TLR

8:
                    In post processing (digital/film) what are the fundamental differences in outcomes between dodging and burning

9:
                    In the early years of photography, which precious metal was commonly used in film/ film processing

10:
                    In respect of still cameras, what are the maximum and minimum aperture photographic lenses curently in use.

Comment

Working...
                    X