X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

canon 10 to 22 ultra zoom red circle/spot

Hi

can any one help me, I am new to photography

I have a EOS 40D and my partner as brought me a 10 to 22 canon lens.
    Whilst taking photos on a sunny day some photos have what I would call a large red spot.
    Is this sun flare.See attached jpeg version of an affected photo.
    If so do I need a dedicated lens hood.

Thanks

Lindanewuser
    Attached Files

Re: canon 10 to 22 ultra zoom red circle/spot

Hi There,

Welcome to the forum first of all.

I am far from experienced enough to give you a definitive answer to your question but as I have the same lens I thought I would start things off, however you will get far more informed comments from others.

I would suggest that you get yourself a UV filter if you haven't already and most definitely the Petal Shaped Lens hood, the hood for this lens is very narrow, front to back, due to the large field of view of the lens.

It looks like on this shot the Sun was to your left, did you take a shot with the Sun at your back and if so did you have the same "Red Spot"?, my guess is that it is the Sun coming in at an angle and that a Lens Hood would help.

However, as I say, others more qualified than me will comment I am sure!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Hello Lindanewuser and welcome to the Forum.

Your partner bought you a 10 - 22mm? I would be lucky to get a tie. Your partner wouldn't happen to have a sister?

OK, slightly more seriously, Paul has pointed you in the right direction. It is lensflare and you do need the correct lenshood to minimise flare. The Canon EW-83E is the correct one and it is standard for the 17 - 40mm f4 L and the 10 - 22mm. The cause is that you are pointing the lens too close to the sun and such a bright point of light is reflecting through the lens optics and picking up the lens coating along the way. The lenshood will minimise this, but nothing can stop flare if you point the lens straight at the sun. The lenshood just means you can point it at a closer angle to the sun, than you could without it.

Hope that helps?

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Hi Paul Thank you for your comments I will invest in a lens hood.

Regards Linda

Comment

Hello Colin Thank you for your comments,yes I am going to invest in the correct lens hood. Yes my partner does have a sister she is a very nice lady but she would only buy a tie.

Best wishes Linda

Comment

It was a nice thought Linda, but I have far too many ties.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

He could always use a new hat though :)
              ef-r

Comment

Working...
              X