Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor shooting

]Hi Guys

What aperture & iso should i be using to shoot indoors? Also would i be better using a tripod?

Thanks

John

Re: Indoor shooting

Hi John;

Did you have any specific subject in mind, or just 'general' people/candid shots?

Tripod (along with either a remote or timed release!) will allow you to use slower shutter speeds, which in turn, would allow a 'better' ISO... but if your subject(s) are moving, slower Tv won't 'freeze' the action...

If hand holding, you'll need to keep an eye on the shutter speed, so I'd start in Av priority at say f/5.6 ISO400 and see what Tv that returned. As long as it's at least 1/focal length x 1.6 (if using a crop-sensor body) you should be good to go... If the Tv doesn't hold-up, then select f/4 (or ISO800 - but that may be too noisy...)

A diffused or bounced flash will also help, and watch-out for any white-balance adjustments required (Tungsten or Flourescent lighting) if you're shooting JPEG (rather than RAW).

HTH...

Cheers...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hello John

Don't know, but give a few more details of what you want to shoot and I can have a good stab at it.

Because light levels are generally going to be quite low indoors, a tripod is very desirable if the subject will be stationery. That way, you can choose your aperture, shutter speed and keep the ISO quite low to preserve quality. A remote release and mirror lock-up may be helpful for long exposures.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Its just general people shots,as im new to digital slr and don't want to use auto.im getting the hang of it outdoors,its just indoor im struggling with.

Thanks

John

Comment

Hi John,
          Indoors for general fun / informal people shots it's all about higher ISO, wider/smaller F numbers, and maybe a flash (imo)
          What lens / body will you use ?
          Trev

Comment

Ita a 1000d with 18-55 is lens.

Comment

What aperture & iso should i be using to shoot indoors?
              When you are shooting with that lens, F3.5 will be your widest aperture at 18mm when you zoom to 55mm your widest aperture will be F5.6.
              If your shutter speed is too slow due to lack of available light you can raise the ISO until you get the speed you require.

You could use a tripod, but you'd have to get the people to remain motionless for the duration of the shutter speed, OK for inaminate objects though.

You could try program mode with auto iso and the onboard flash, then examine the images and the shooting settings on yer PC to see what worked for you, and where you could improve.
              Hope this helps
              Trev

Comment

Thanks for that trev, will have a go with it

John

Comment

Working...
                X