Time Capsule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Capsule

I’ve been asked to supply some photographs (on photographic paper rather than inkjet) for a time capsule. What would be the best way to pack them? I’m thinking of a plastic bag or possibly a glass jar with some Silica Gel. There’s no date set for opening the capsule.

Re: Time Capsule

I would put them also on a DVD as I dont think the images will last.

Slàinte,

Mal
    Slàinte,

Malkie

I would be grateful for all constructive comments both good and not so good. I wont bite

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Comment

I think I'll try that, but whether the technology in 100 years or more will still be able to open CDs or DVDs (if they last that long) is another matter. Hopefully there’ll be a museum somewhere with a player.
      Last edited by Ems; 18-12-2010, 11:29.

Comment

Why not Laminate them?

Coda
        There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Do you have any way of packing the pictures in a sealed jar with some silica gel that has been evacuated by a vacuum pump ?

Comment

Print them on archive paper
            ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
              Print them on archive paper
              using inks that last (fade free) as well (if they are printed, but in the OPs case I gather it's tradional photo processing).

I did read somewhere that CD/DVD only last 10 years (well I know that's not true) ... but again there are archival quality discs ... but (and its a big one) will folk have a reader in 100 years time when the TC is opened. Will they understand JPEGs? Archiving is a major problem ... ask the BBC about the Doomsday Laser Disc !!!
              Last edited by MX5; 18-12-2010, 14:25.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Probably a combination of all would work. The trouble is the organisers haven’t given me much notice. I had an email last night and they want to seal the casket on New Year’s Eve. I’m waiting for them to get back to me to let me know how much space there will be in the drum.

There was an item on Click which reckoned that some CDs wouldn’t last much more than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ems View Post
                  There was an item on Click which reckoned that some CDs wouldn’t last much more than a year.
                  If that was the case my oldie CD (Dire Straights still going strong) collection would be blank. Bit of scare mongering me thinks.

If you do use archive paper make sure that the inks are also to the same standard or would be a waste of good paper.

Slàinte,

Malkie
                  Slàinte,

Malkie

I would be grateful for all constructive comments both good and not so good. I wont bite

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Comment

The 'problem' (if indeed there is one) applies to CD-R / CD-RW and not CD-DA's. A similar problem with DVD exists (again if indeed there is one). So your Dire Straits CD-DA collection is safe ...

It's to do with the coating I gather ... some cheap discs use a cheap coating that comes away. But I can't say I've noticed ... and I've some original single speed CD-R that I've had for a long time and had to use one last year and it was still okay. That when the external SCSI CD writer was the size of a brick and cost a grand (not me the company I worked for).

Comment

What about going to your local craft shop that does cardmaking, scrap booking supplies. They will have acid free paper and could advise on what would be best?
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X