personal liability insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personal liability insurance

Does any members of this form have this type of cover !

I've just applied for a press pass for the British super bikes and need to send them my PLI details (Which i presume is Personal Liability Insurance) But before i go online i thought i would seek some help or advice on this matter with other forum members if possible.

Many thanks Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: personal liability insurance

Does any members of this form have this type of cover !
    Yes.

My only tip, give the insurer as much info as possible when you're taking it out - ie don't play down the risk factor for cheaper premiums,(not saying you would) :-)
    Trev

Comment

Thanks Trev
      I need to be covered to the value of 5 million (if you say it quick it doesn't sound that much) i presume this insurance is for the third party and not really for me,
      eg- i drop my lens cap on the track and one of the riders comes off as a result and breaks every bone in his body(worst case scenario ) I'm going to need that 5 million cover ?

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

5 million
        Sounds a lot Paul , I doubt if that will even cost as much as £20 PM, I don't do motorsport so I don't know the risk factors involved

Trev

Comment

I doubt if that will even cost as much as £20 PM
          I'll get some quote's and see if it's worth the trouble, But if i don't get insurance, I'll never be able to get to the next level and that's were i want be this year.

Paul

Comment

I'll get some quote's and see if it's worth the trouble
            You'll find many insurers have questionaires based on their knowledge of different sectors.

On another note, I see poeple stating on their websites they are "fully inusured", that always seemed to me like they're potentially inviting claims :-)

I wonder what people's views are on this, what do you think yourself Paul ?

Trev

Comment

I really don't like dealing with insurance company's they say they are there for your best interest But in reality there going to bleed you dry if ever you make a claim or not, there a bit like bookies there's only one winner. but what can you do !!

Paul

Comment

Bikes are dangerous things and an errant one can clear the fence very quickly. I'm guessing the reason for demanding insurance is to protect them, not you should you get hit, fall over on an uneven bank, or get flattened by a marshal (I do car marshalling and I have run straight through a photographer who wasn't paying attention on more than one occasion!) They will want to make sure you're properly covered and won't be trying to claim off the circuits or organisers - your press pass will absolve them of liability for most things anyway.
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Thanks Woolley

Your right in there just covering them self's, I just have to workout if the cost is worth the outlay ,I'm getting quotes of around £122-£199 per year and with the cost of paying on the gate around £30 pounds it means going to a lot of meetings to get that money back. A lot to think about at the moment I'm sure it would be worth it in the end,just I'm 50/50 at the moment .

Paul

Comment

If you've got a press pass, I wouldn't have thought you'd be paying at the gate? Or am I wrong? Can't remember the last time I paid to get into a motorsport event.
                    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I have PI insurance of £2 million, but 5 million is pretty standard for events like motorsport and FA football.

£199 is way over the top, I checked with my company Ashburnham Insurance and got 3 quotes for under a £100 for £5M cover.

ANY good broker should be able to sort you out, it's very standard stuff, I'm covered as Photographers (Excluding Studios). Remember they are covering YOU not what you shoot, they don't care if it's flowers or Superbikes.

i drop my lens cap on the track and one of the riders comes off as a result and breaks every bone in his body(worst case scenario )
                      No the worst Case is, he comes off, then his bike flips the fence and kills a dozen spectators, £5 million will be nowhere near enough then.
                      Last edited by Mark; 10-02-2011, 21:44.

Comment

If you've got a press pass, I wouldn't have thought you'd be paying at the gate?
                        Sorry if i didn't make myself clear, your right, you shouldn't pay with a press pass.
                        It's at those prices for the cover i need, it may be cheaper to just pay on the gate? and just forget about a press pass.
                        But then who wants to fight for a good spot all day with 60,000 other people !!

Paul

Comment

No the worst Case is, he comes off, then his bike flips the fence and kills a dozen spectators, £5 million will be nowhere near enough then.
                          Thanks for that quote Mark,you know how to put a point across I haven't slept all night thinking about it

Cheapest quote now is £ 89 which is much more tempting.

Paul

Comment

Another example of Chaos theory ... "a butterfly flaps it's wings in Australia ...."

Even in IT it's common to have £5m of cover ... well we might use rm and wildcards whilst logged in with superuser magic. Actually I've seen far simpler things cause more chaos! [A cleaner unplugs a server to plug in Henry and .....]

Comment

Remember they are covering YOU not what you shoot, they don't care if it's flowers or Superbikes.
                              Agreed some of them don't care a hoot unless you're claiming, that's why I will always insist on giving as much info as possible, whether they ask or not.
                              Maybe I'm just cynical :-)

Trev

Comment

Working...
                              X