Embarrassing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassing Question

Since getting my PIXMA Pro 9000 Mark II, I’ve been looking at the variety of papers from just one manufacturer. I’m familiar with plain, gloss and matte/pearl, but what is ‘Art’ paper and what is ‘Rag’. I’m thinking these are cotton based rather than wood? But can folk give me a clue in what situations you might use ‘Art’ and ‘Rag’. Sorry if it’s a dumb question … but I had to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Embarrassing Question

The only art and rag paper ive seen is good quality plain paper Ilford make these.
    Now ive just tried a few sheets of ILFORD GALERIE SMOOTH HIGH GLOSS. This has a mirror like finish like the old cibachrome,
    Im gonna get me some at focus.

Coda
    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

I have seen these papers used for Black & Whites, where a matt textured paper works well with some subjects.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

I guess the answer is to get some of these papers and give them a whirl. I'll see if Ilford et al do 'sample packs' like Permajet do.

Comment

Permajet, Fotospeed and especially Hahnemuhle do some great Art papers. The most important thing to get is a custom profile when using them though.

They all do sample packs.
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
          X