Highlight Tone Priority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highlight Tone Priority

I have been re-reading my 450D manual and have come across a couple of features I have not noticed before - highlight tone priority and auto lighting optimization.
    How useful are these and do I really need them?
    Thanks in anticipation.

Deva
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Re: Highlight Tone Priority

I have not found them to be of much use, but I do shoot exclusively in RAW and can therefore make any minor adjustments post capture.

Highlight tone priority allows greater tolerance to the highlight tones, where there may be a risk of burning out the highlights. The downside is that less tolerance is given to the shadow tones and digital noise is more likely in the shadow areas.

HDR is an in-camera attempt to increase the tonal range within the shot. Usually achieved by reducing the contrast of the scene. Those that have tried it say that digital noise also increases.

If I shot in Jpeg, either could be useful on occasion, but as a custom function that I switched on, as and when I needed it. I wouldn’t keep it permanently on.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks again Colin.

Deva
      EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

I'm more or less with Colin on this.

I would not use Highlight Tone Priority as a standard setting, but can see where it COULD be very usefull,say when shooting wedding dress, where you'd want as much detail in the whites as possible.

I did have auto lighting optimization set on at first, but after getting some advice from a Canon Professional Service rep, I turned it off and my images are much better, and as I tend to shoot Raw it can be turned in in software ( DPP) afterwards if really needed.

Comment

HTP also means a minimum ISO of 200..... I have used it but don't really see the benefit.
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
          X