Compact Flash Cards-Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compact Flash Cards-Advice

Computor Engineer, ALWAYS leave in Camera until exhursted. The more you move them the more damage you can do. Download pictures then reformat card in the Camera and leave it there. I finished my card reader, bent pins.
    Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Re: Compact Flash Cards-Advice

After nearly a dozen DSLR's without a problem and knowing loads of other togs without a problem, bent pins must be a very rare occurence.

I always remove my CF card to upload photo's via a card reader to my computer. Far quicker than trying to "push" them from the camera, using the camera batteries. I exercise sensible precautions when inserting the CF card back into the camera:

* Never fit a card in a hurry.

* Double check the correct orientation.

* Apply only a slight pressure to insert the card.

* If anything feels wrong, stop, take out the card and start again.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
      After nearly a dozen DSLR's without a problem and knowing loads of other togs without a problem, bent pins must be a very rare occurence.

I always remove my CF card to upload photo's via a card reader to my computer. Far quicker than trying to "push" them from the camera, using the camera batteries. I exercise sensible precautions when inserting the CF card back into the camera:

* Never fit a card in a hurry.

* Double check the correct orientation.

* Apply only a slight pressure to insert the card.

* If anything feels wrong, stop, take out the card and start again.

Colin
      Well the two Colin's agree, this is exactly what I do to. I use a firewire card reader which is much faster than USB and why take the chance poking the tiny USB cable into the camera each time, that can just as easily break / bend pins. I do agree though always format in camera.
      --
      Colin
      http://fotos-espana.com
      http://macameraclub.com
      http://turnspain.com

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        Well the two Colin's agree, this is exactly what I do to. I use a firewire card reader which is much faster than USB and why take the chance poking the tiny USB cable into the camera each time, that can just as easily break / bend pins. I do agree though always format in camera.
        You mean: Two OF the Colins - Here's another one!

Comment

three Colins and a Ron also.
          Ron

www.severnvalephoto.co.uk

Cameras: 5D, 7D, 1DmkIV, G1X.
          Lenses: 16-35 F2.8 L, 24-105 F4 LIS, 70-300 LIS, 180 L macro, 200 F2.8 L, 400 F2.8 LIS mkII.

Comment

Ill change my name to Colin if it helps,

Coda...I mean Colin
            There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

And a Chris. Same procedure here.

I usually delete pictures once they're donwloaded, but have recently been advised to format instead. Is that the right advice?
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I always reformat as advised when I first started with digital photography.

Also never delete individual images in camera as apparently some of the memory is lost each time you delete an individual image so always once you have downloaded to PC and backed up the images then reformat card in camera.

Information given by Park Cameras when I bought my 5D MkII a couple of years ago.
                Slàinte,

Malkie

I would be grateful for all constructive comments both good and not so good. I wont bite

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Comment

Add me to the list :)

As other, I used to delete images as I downloaded them, but now only ever format in camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    If you can fit a USB cable in the wrong way that would take some doing !!

Comment

Hi Colin
                      Very correct on what ny pal told me, CF cards are not so prone to problems as SD, all to do with protuding connections, static electric etc, I retired to the bar as it got very technical for me !

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
                        If you can fit a USB cable in the wrong way that would take some doing !!
                        I didn't say that.
                        --
                        Colin
                        http://fotos-espana.com
                        http://macameraclub.com
                        http://turnspain.com

Comment

Working...
                        X