Getting the parallels correct.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the parallels correct.

Picture the scene, in the distance an undulation of hills so no obvious horizon. In the foreground on the right there are buildings ... old ones suffering subsidence and thus learning out of true. On the left is a meandering path. Even the GPO telegraph pole is leaning. Nothing looks t-square straight. So what to do ... align the camera so it is horizontally and vertically true? Keep moving the camera until the strange perspectives are minimized? Try some distortion control in PS?

Thanks in advance ... I’ve said before I have no artistic skills but use photography as a aide memoire after my ramblings etc. But just sometimes I can’t get the photo to look right and not like those crazy house from funfairs of old.

Re: Getting the parallels correct.

Could we see the picture....what im thinking is keep the house as seen...either take out the post or just straghten it.

Coda
    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

It wasn't kept ... the CEO told me it looked rubbish ... so alas (and rare for me) I hit the delete button.

Comment

Hold the camera as square to the scene as possible, minimising any pointing up,or down.

If the final shot still doesn't look believable, import it into Photoshop and press Ctrl and ' to bring up the grid. Make a duplicate layer and use the transform tools to straighten the horizon and correct the worst of the verticals. Only do the minimum you need to, dont try to get them perfect, because they often look wrong. Switch the grid on and off as necessary to see the effect you are getting.

Hope that helps.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Thanks Coda and ColinC.

Tis a pity Dr Beeching didn't stay with ICI otherwise the rails would still have been in situ and provide a nice datum.

The camera was held 'square on' and as the camera never lies (okay stop giggling at the back) it should have captured what was there ... but alas as it loses depth in the 2D world of a picture I think that exaggerates the perception of crazy angles. I come across these scenes quiet often so I’ll snap one again and post an unfettled image.

Comment

Working...
          X