What does 'monochrome' mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What does 'monochrome' mean?

4 monochrome images, anyone who disagrees is just WRONG and should buy a dictionary

From the people that know The Oxford English Dictionary
    noun
    a photograph or picture developed or executed in black and white or in varying tones of only one colour.
    [mass noun] representation or reproduction in black and white or in varying tones of only one colour.

adjective
    (of a photograph or picture, or a television screen) consisting of or displaying images in black and white or in varying tones of only one colour.

Comment

Mark, that seems to be a definitive end to the discussion. Thanks to all for your responses.
      Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

I was about to post but Mark's image says it all :)
        5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I was going to put my pedantic hat on again (Dictionaries aren't always precise in areas such as science and technology) ... But I#ll leave the desciption alone. I assume camera clubs don't use a Zeiss Colorimeter to check a monochrome picture really is just one colour But what about tones, chroma, shades or hues.

Comment

Why don't we keep it nice and simple? B&W for black and white and monochrome for the whole range encompassed in Mark's answer; hues for colours and tones for variations in dark/light. I don't know what, other than these basic properties, shade or chroma means.
            Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

I would just like to say what a great thread - interesting, thought provoking and educational. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Joanne
              To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Ditto.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X