Downloading pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading pictures.

Advice given to me by computer engineers, never use a card reader just download from the camera, the more you move the card the more risk of damage.
    By default I download to Digital Photo Pro'/ZoomBrowser EX. Email, the files are often to big, so my son-Canada based-said use Picasa 3.
    A simply program for file reduction and editing, I tried it and it works. Opinions ?
    Graham
    Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Re: Downloading pictures.

It's pretty difficult to damage a card unless you're fairly careless. I've been using a reader for 9 years and never had a problem. It's also much faster and saves your camera batteries (and you really don't want the power to run out while you're downloading). On that point I'd disagree.

Picasa's OK, and does allow you to upload easily (their standard allowance is generous and it's inexpensive to add quite a lot of storage). I use ACDSee which also has sufficient RAW processing for my needs. v4 has just been released and I've tested the BETA version which has a lot more features than 2.5 that I'm currently on. I'll wait for the price to drop a little, but I think this upgrade is worthwhile.
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
      ... the files are often to big ...
      Too 'big' for what?

And speaking as someone who writ his first assembler program in the 60's ... and have been in IT for a long long time. Card readers are okay and faster than camera to PC.

DPP (free with your kit) can reduce size. So can Adobe's stuff.

If you want to distribute ... then try flickr and it's ilk (using DPP to convert to JPEG first). Then just make your friends 'flickr friends'.

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
        It's pretty difficult to damage a card unless you're fairly careless. I've been using a reader for 9 years and never had a problem. It's also much faster and saves your camera batteries (and you really don't want the power to run out while you're downloading). On that point I'd disagree.

Picasa's OK, and does allow you to upload easily (their standard allowance is generous and it's inexpensive to add quite a lot of storage). I use ACDSee which also has sufficient RAW processing for my needs. v4 has just been released and I've tested the BETA version which has a lot more features than 2.5 that I'm currently on. I'll wait for the price to drop a little, but I think this upgrade is worthwhile.
        Hi Woolley.
        Card Reader, well that's their advice but their engineers and will have seen damage we have not, it's a sort of house rule "don't move it unless you have to" !!
        Picasa's, you talk of expense but I pay nothing so I'm puzzled. I'm forwarding your comments to Canada as Picasa is all my son uses, I'll get back.
        Thanks
        Graham

Comment

Too "big", emailing raw I suspect in my ignorance. So DPP can do it, fine but I find Picasa very easy compared.
          Card Readers and advice, well the guys are involved in Formula One aero dynamics-McClaren-I think the advice is sound.
          Thanks
          Graham

Comment

Picasa is free up to 1GB. After that you have to pay, but only $5 for 20GB per year, answer from Canada. What is ACDSee I'm asked by my son ?
            Thanks
            Graham

Comment

From what I understand of Woolley's message, he uses ACDSee v2.5 and he's considering upgrading to version 4 when the price drops.

I think the latest Picasa version is 3. I don't think you can upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

This from my son in Canada-Cambridge P.HD. He awaits your answer !!

Cheers
              Graham

Comment

Too "big", emailing raw I suspect in my ignorance. So DPP can do it, fine but I find Picasa very easy compared.
                Card Readers and advice, well the guys are involved in Formula One aero dynamics-McClaren-I think the advice is sound.
                Thanks
                Graham
                I'll not argue about the Card Reader vs InCamera ... as there is no 'right' answer ... we each have our own opinions.

With DPP have you tried batch conversions or using recipes? ... allows you to convert in bulk at speed.

That said I only ever used Picasa when it was launched ... so given Google's capability in IT it's likely to be very good. I'm guessing from the thread that Picasa is more than a Canon Raw aware image editor but has storage in 'the cloud'. If so it sounds ideal for sharing. It's a pity Flickr Pro doesn't support RAW (hint to Yahoo!) but it suits my needs.

Comment

Card Reader their opinion " The more you move more the risk of bending pins" Yes that happen to me, wrecked the reader my fault I know but proves their point.

DPP/Picasa/Flickr Pro, your comments forward to Canada as my son is far more computer literate than I am ! I'll get back.

Thanks
                  Graham

Comment

Hi
                    Reply from Canada.
                    From what I've read of the responses to your post, I think the consensus is that Picasa is a good piece of software for sharing photos in "the cloud" and it also supports RAW files. "The cloud" just refers to online storage (where all your Gmail e-mails are stored).

Now I know !!
                    Graham

Comment

Card Reader their opinion " The more you move more the risk of bending pins" Yes that happen to me, wrecked the reader my fault I know but proves their point.
                      ... and I have a friend who damaged the USB socket on his camera (whilst not a Canon DSLR it was a top flight DSLR) ... so horses for courses. We each do what feel most at comfort with ;-)

I will revisit Picasa when I've time as part of 'cloud' training I'm giving.

Comment

I would rather risk the reader and card than the camera.
                        ef-r

Comment

Woolley, I've used ACDSee for more that ten years, up-grading as versions became available. It's the only editing programme I use. Up-grading bit by bit it was affordable but I suspect that if I were to be offered ACDSee Pro 4 as a first editor I could not afford it. I was offered an up-grade to it from v.3 for just €70.21 by download. I find the programme very satisfactory and much more flexible and versatile than DPP. PhotoShop and LightRoom seem to be wonderful programmes but I like to see their prices drop a lot before I'd consider investing in them.
                          Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                            I would rather risk the reader and card than the camera.
                            Yes but every time you put the card back into the camera you run the same risk that's why these guys say move as little as possible as it's the pins that get damaged not the card.

Comment

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's worth mentioning that only CompactFlash (CF) cards have pins. The flat contacts of SecureDigital (SD) cards are much safer in this respect.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X