Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lens Filters

Grads on wa

Using square filters I have used 2 ND grads (one soft for the sky amd one hard for the land), opposite way up to get a dramatic sunset - you get a band of orange across the middle.

I have also used a sunset grad vertically to make a model looking out of a window look as if she was looking out at the sunset.
    ef-r

Comment

Hi
      Thank you, so stick with what I've go for protection and add polarizers when needed ??
      Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
        I'd be careful with CPL's on Wideangles ... you might not get what you expected
        Agreed, you have to be careful not to overdo it, but the joy of Polarizers is what you see is what you get.

Longshot, I'd say yes. Get comfortable with the filters you already have and maybe get a polarizer at some point (I personally consider it a 'must have' accessory).
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          Takes the grips off and leave them and the 50 behind
          Now that's a thought for the grip and do I really need the 50 1.4 as I've used it once in 6 months, so maybe sell and get the nifty. Does it use the same hood ?

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
            Agreed, you have to be careful not to overdo it, but the joy of Polarizers is what you see is what you get.

Longshot, I'd say yes. Get comfortable with the filters you already have and maybe get a polarizer at some point (I personally consider it a 'must have' accessory).
            Thanks Woolley, which polarizer would you suggest, a 77mm will fit 2 of my lenses so I'd just buy one for now to play with, can it be used with the Hoya Skylight or would I have to swap them around as and when ? Which goes on first if you can use both !!!!!!
            Thanks
            Graham

Comment

Silly me you answered some of this on the 29th May !!

Comment

77mm seems the most useful for your lenses. I have this one (ouch, that's gone up a bit since I bought it).

On the 24-105 on a crop you can stack it with the skylight if you can't be bothered to take the other off. On the 10-20 it would probably show up in the corners.
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

77mm seems the most useful for your lenses. I have this one (ouch, that's gone up a bit since I bought it).

On the 24-105 on a crop you can stack it with the skylight if you can't be bothered to take the other off. On the 10-20 it would probably show up in the corners.
                  Blimey you'd need to put the Skylight and a UV on for protection at that price !!

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
                    Blimey you'd need to put the Skylight and a UV on for protection at that price !!
                    There are so many variations on ebay and price so in black and white just what have you got

Comment

My collection of filters is simple:

Hoya Cir-Polariser in 67mm and 77mm which covers all of my lenses.
                      Pro-Tama UV in 67mm (came free with my 17-50).

I've got a couple of smaller polarisers (52 and 57mm) which were for lenses all the way back into the film days, which transferred to my two Fuji compacts and then on to the the lenses that came with the DSLR so they've been around a fair time.

Not too keen on the price of the 77mm since I may have to replace mine having dropped it a few months back. Managed to put it back together but it's feeling a little flimsy. No point in stinting on quality though, having spent money on quality lenses it would be pointless to then put a cheap and nasty filter on the front. May as well just shoot through the window!

Comment

My collection of filters is simple:

Hoya Cir-Polariser in 67mm and 77mm which covers all of my lenses.
                        Pro-Tama UV in 67mm (came free with my 17-50).

I've got a couple of smaller polarisers (52 and 57mm) which were for lenses all the way back into the film days, which transferred to my two Fuji compacts and then on to the the lenses that came with the DSLR so they've been around a fair time.

Not too keen on the price of the 77mm since I may have to replace mine having dropped it a few months back. Managed to put it back together but it's feeling a little flimsy. No point in stinting on quality though, having spent money on quality lenses it would be pointless to then put a cheap and nasty filter on the front. May as well just shoot through the window!
                        I picked up a Pro1 Digital 67mm MC PL-C Made in Japan 19 quid s/h Ebay but not boxed, genuine well that's the question but it looks the business and does the job.
                        But then we get SMC etc type etc ???????? So I want a a 77mm for the 24-105 and Siggy 4.-5.6 ?
                        Next what goes on first the "PL" or skylight which I just use for protection at present.
                        Thanks
                        Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
                          .....................Next what goes on first the "PL" or skylight which I just use for protection at present.
                          Hi Graham.
                          You do not need the Skylight when using the PL, just mount the PL of particular importance with wide angle lenses where the thickness of two stacked filters can cause vignetting. Most of the time you don't need a skylight filter, a good lens hood will give physical protection and protection from side lighting and rain. I would only use a Skylight or UV filter in a dusty environment or by the sea on a rough day. (As you may have guessed 'protection' filters are one of my pet hates !)
                          Last edited by KEITH H; 12-06-2011, 07:40. Reason: edited word order
                          Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH H View Post
                            Hi Graham.
                            You do not need the Skylight when using the PL, just mount the PL of particular importance with wide angle lenses where the thickness of two stacked filters can cause vignetting. Most of the time you don't need a skylight filter, a good lens hood will give physical protection and protection from side lighting and rain. I would only use a Skylight or UV filter in a dusty environment or by the sea on a rough day. (As you may have guessed 'protection' filters are one of my pet hates !)
                            Thanks Keith and makes sense, protection for glass yea I have hoods, I'll buy a 77mm PL and use Skylight for protection when needed!
                            Graham

Comment

Working...
                            X