Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diploma in Digital Photography

Has anyone ever done this course? Diploma in Digital Photography

I am thinking about it as it is FREE and will give me something to learn and do.

One thing though, I am surprised that this is a free course. What do you think about it?

Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

I think it is free because they make their money charging you for the "Diploma".
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Colin, like John said, its free until you want the Diploma. I know someone that did something like this and he had to pay which he refused at the end to get the diploma - so he got nothing. I might see in a week or so I'll find out more.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Gosh......I just checked the cheapest price for the Diploma Certificate.......£65!

Comment

This is an intriguing organisation with big aims, they want to make it possible for anyone to study anything, anywhere, for free! But they appear to be completely independent of any established organisation with powers to validate courses and diplomas, which could be very liberating and innovative, or it could mean their diplomas are worthless.
          Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BobSapey View Post
            This is an intriguing organisation with big aims, they want to make it possible for anyone to study anything, anywhere, for free! But they appear to be completely independent of any established organisation with powers to validate courses and diplomas, which could be very liberating and innovative, or it could mean their diplomas are worthless.
            They are just money making companies, anyone can set one up. You submit pictures to them, that more than likely they sell them on. Then print you out a nice looking piece of paper - Your worthless Diploma. Some even allow you to put half the letters of the alphabet behind your name.
            Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

They are just money making companies, anyone can set one up. You submit pictures to them, that more than likely they sell them on. Then print you out a nice looking piece of paper - Your worthless Diploma. Some even allow you to put half the letters of the alphabet behind your name.
              Do you think it is a waste of time/money then?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin W View Post

That needs to be answered in two parts:-

As to time, it depends on the quality of the instruction - if it is good AND IF you can get the instruction without in any way committing to buying a "Diploma", then it would be worth taking a few of the course modules and see what you think of it. You may find it informative and helpful, or you may not.

As to money, I suspect you might be better off printing your own Diploma and saving your pennies!
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by Colin W View Post

Yes I do. What are you hoping to gain from it. Are you seeking employment in say photo journalism, or some organisation as a photographer, are they asking for qualifications. There seems to be numerous 'Firms' out there offering these Diplomas. I get inundated with 'Flyers' from one 'The Centre of Excellence', who seem to offer a diploma in every subject under the sun.
                  I know two photographers who have RPS Distinctions, one a ARPS the other a FRPS. Both have said its of no benefit to them now what so ever - plus to use the Letters behind your name you must maintain a RPS membership at I believe hundred and twenty quid a year!
                  I say keep the money in your pocket, looking at the shots you post on here, which in my opinion are excellent. I can't see you would benefit from a 'Backstreet Diploma'.
                  Trev

Flickr:

Comment

In the UK university sector where I used to work there is an elaborate system of validation panels and examiners for each course plus regular QA of institutions. All this is done by members of the university concerned and from other universities to ensure standards across the sector. It is very expensive, time consuming and potentially flawed because of the reciprocity involved. In other countries standards are judged by students on the basis of differences in cost and differences in job prospects. In this way employers determine quality which may be a good thing if you are studying business studies, but not necessarily if you study a subject like English Literature that is more about enriching your knowledge than getting a job.

It is a sector that is easy to exploit - Rev. Dr Ian Paisley was reputed to have bought his doctorate from an American college - but if you gain from studying for the qualification it may be worth pursuing the 'free' course. If at the end you think it worth having some form of validation of your learning then you have the choice to pay.
                    Using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you all for your honest opinions. I think I will not bother doing it. It was not for a job etc, just something for me to do and maybe learn during the winter months.

Comment

Hi Colin, Here's a thought. With all your excellent images of trains etc. why not self publish a book? There are plenty of companies who offer this service. I'm now up to 10 books, some of which I've sold but mainly give to family and friends. They're also good to keep as a memento for when I'm old and grey (not long to go now, more than half way there)! I use Blurb. You can see my latest book at https://www.blurb.co.uk/b/10247921-l...rough-lockdown They can be quite expensive so I've made it so that you can preview the entire book on-line. You can also download it as an e-book foc.
                        http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Working...
                        X