Canon R7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon R7

Just read an article that speculates that next year Canon will release an APS-C camera with RF mount, possibly called R7.

Interesting?
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Interesting but as they already have high megapixel sensors from which to crop for that extra 'reach' why would they make an APSC version?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
      Interesting but as they already have high megapixel sensors from which to crop for that extra 'reach' why would they make an APSC version?
      Remember that the cropped image from the FF sensor has fewer pixels than a dedicated sensor - a cropped image from the R6 is only about 8Mpm compared to the 24Mp I have in my 80D... Even the R5 would only offer 18Mp in cropped format - and be well expensive into the bargain.

Small sensor models still tend to be a little cheaper too - Nikon's APS format Z50 is around £300 cheaper than the lowest priced FF equivalent...

I'm not sure this rumour is anymore than a bit of wishful thinking though, Canon already have an APS mirrorless range in the M series. I suppose a possible reason for an APS format R model would be the opportunity to take advantage of what looks likely to be a more comprehensive range of lenses. than seems available to M series owners...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Fair point....I think phones are so good now that the logical strategy would be to make only one line of mirrorless ......maybe that's Canon's plan....one common lens fitting but two sensor sizes.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

There was some speculation that the introduction of a APSC camera with RF mount would lead to end the M series.

Of course speculation at the moment.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Agree with El Sid on this, and 1.6 cropped images on my R6 never look as good as full frame images cropped in post. Well to my eyes anyway.

it’s also time to upgrade my wife’s gear and an R5 in crop mode to replace an 80D is a lot of money to spend to get fewer pixels with the lenses she likes to use. On the other hand, a potential R7 with the R mount 100-400mm is a like for like swap. I’d even pay R6 price if it were an equivalent to the 7D mk II…
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
              There was some speculation that the introduction of a APSC camera with RF mount would lead to end the M series.
              Not necessarily... The M-mount is smaller than the R-mount in both diameter and back focus distance which allows the M cameras and lenses to be rather more compact than the R versions and some people prefer a more compact camera system.

If as seems likely the DSLR range dies out I'm sure Canon could cope with two ranges - Panasonic seem to be managing that trick with their full frame S series and the m4/3 G series...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
              X