Off camera flash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off camera flash.

Hey gang, I’d like some advise on what I need to get my canon 430ex ii to fire off camera.
    I have a Canon 7d and I use my pop up flash to fire the speed lite but on my 5d iii there is no pop up. Do I require another speedlite that can act as a master or just a radio trigger? I’m unsure if the 430ex ii is capable of receiving a radio signal and if I’m correct I don’t think the 430 can act as a master.
    Any help I’d advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

I think you have two low cost options. The 430 EX II can act as an optical receiver responding to an IR signal from a capable speedlight, camera, or transmitter, The 5Diii does not function as an optical transmitter (the 7D II does but I suspect yours is a 7D) so you would need a transmitter such as the ST-E2 (available s/h for about £50).

The second is a simple camera to speedlight cable OC-E3 thought these are expensive new about £67.

The third and most expensive option is to invest in a set of radio transmitters and receivers. I use Yongnuo with RT speedlights, but there are several other systems (Godex, Hahnel, etc).

You could also find a low cost more recent flash attached to the camera as a master. Usually you can set this so that it does not actually flash if you don't want it to. A Speedlight 90 EX if you can find one would do

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Columbarius; 05-12-2021, 22:14.
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
      I think you have two low cost options. The 430 EX II can act as an optical receiver responding to an IR signal from a capable speedlight, camera, or transmitter, The 5Diii does not function as an optical transmitter (the 7D II does but I suspect yours is a 7D) so you would need a transmitter such as the ST-E2 (available s/h for about £50).

The second is a simple camera to speedlight cable OC-E3 thought these are expensive new about £67.

The third and most expensive option is to invest in a set of radio transmitters and receivers. I use Yongnuo with RT speedlights, but there are several other systems (Godex, Hahnel, etc).

You could also find a low cost more recent flash attached to the camera as a master. Usually you can set this so that it does not actually flash if you don't want it to. A Speedlight 90 EX if you can find one would do

Hope this helps.

Very helpful. Thank you very much. I think I’ll look into getting the transmitter. Thanks again.

Comment

MPB have two used ones for sale at £47
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Working...
        X