300mm 2.8 + converter ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300mm 2.8 + converter ?

Hi, mainly do my sport with my trusty 100-400mm, but the weather is dull and dreary over here, as well as lots of night time floodlit sport.
    Was thinking of getting a converter for my 300mm 2.8, do they work and is there a vast quality drop, have never used one before.
    It was the 2x conveter, especially for the large gaelic pitches and cricket.
    I know about the F stop issue, but would like feedback, or possible samples of a 300mm with a 2x converter in half decent daylight.

Glenn

Re: 300mm 2.8 + converter ?

Not quite the same I know but I use a 1.4 converter with my 70-200 f2.8 with no obvious loss of quality and also with a 2x converter but i do find you need good light to get the best from it. I would imagine the 300 f2.8 would be similar

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Derry-Canon Fan View Post
      Hi, mainly do my sport with my trusty 100-400mm, but the weather is dull and dreary over here, as well as lots of night time floodlit sport.
      Was thinking of getting a converter for my 300mm 2.8, do they work and is there a vast quality drop, have never used one before.
      It was the 2x conveter, especially for the large gaelic pitches and cricket.
      I know about the F stop issue, but would like feedback, or possible samples of a 300mm with a 2x converter in half decent daylight.

Glenn

Glenn

Using a 2X convertor will slow down the AF, but you will still get some cracking shots.

Comment

I have both converters and the 300mm f2.8 and whilst I will regularly use the 1.4x, the 2x is for emergencies only.

The 1.4x you hardly notice any drop in quality and the autofocus is still very fast, but it is more noticable with the 2x.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Working...
        X