Camera strap options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera strap options.

I have an R5 with a 100-500 zoom. Will it be too much of a strain on the mount from body to lens if I use a strap attached to the body? In previous configurations I have linked a strap to a tripod mount attached to the lens, taking most of the stress off the body mount. This worked well but the tripod mount is relatively heavy and I am looking to reduce weight if possible. And will not use a tripod.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

I have the R5 / 100-500mm and use a Blackrapid Strap fixed to the camera body with a secondary homemade loop of HT wire between the strap and lens. I can't see there being a strain on the camera mount, it hanging down vertical as opposed to being horizontal, there there possible could be over time. My set up is based on safety not strain.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

As a follow up to my last post. Have just been talking to a good friend, who's got a few more brain cells than me - he's a Consultant Gynaecologist and Wildlife photographer. He tells me the strain on the camera lens connection is the same whether you fix your strap to the lens or camera.
      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
        As a follow up to my last post. Have just been talking to a good friend, who's got a few more brain cells than me - he's a Consultant Gynaecologist and Wildlife photographer. He tells me the strain on the camera lens connection is the same whether you fix your strap to the lens or camera.
        Sorry Trev - your pal may be a gynaecologist, but he's not an engineer.

It all depends on the relative masses of the camera and lens. In the limited case where they are of equal mass, your pal's observation holds true.

However, if you have a large zoom lens on the camera, it is far better to suspend the combination from the lens because the smaller mass of the camera and the impulse loads it imposes as you walk along will strain the camera/lens connection far less.

So, hang the combination from the heavier of the two items, whichever it is.
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post

Sorry Trev - your pal may be a gynaecologist, but he's not an engineer.

It all depends on the relative masses of the camera and lens. In the limited case where they are of equal mass, your pal's observation holds true.

However, if you have a large zoom lens on the camera, it is far better to suspend the combination from the lens because the smaller mass of the camera and the impulse loads it imposes as you walk along will strain the camera/lens connection far less.

So, hang the combination from the heavier of the two items, whichever it is.
          Thanks for that John, fully accept what you say, I can't wait to inform Dave that he got it wrong, the second thing in a fortnight - it worries my wife the job he does
          Must admit I've always fixed my camera to the strap whatever the lens, have done for as long as I can remember without a problem. There again I suppose a camera to me is not my dearest a nearest, I'm always being criticised for the way I leave my cameras around. Just a tool, it records what I see, my hammer knocks in nails, the drill drills holes.
          Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Well thank you for those comments. Both seem to make some sense. The issue boils down to the strength of the mount. While there may be more strain one way than the other does it actually matter in practice? The weight of the camera with battery is 738gms and the lens 1365gms. I wonder if Canon has a recommendation.

Comment

Without doubt attach the strap to the part with most mass, the lens.

Have my Sigma 150-600 attached to a Blackrapid strap (by tripod foot) and my 7D2 is attached to the same strap with a small retaining strap, just in case the lens/body somehow become disconnected.

Have walked many, many miles with this and have no issues.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
              X