Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Microadjustment

Benn looking at my 24-105 with 5D MkII with this Lens Align Tool

Found I had a front focus issue at the recommended maximum focal length/aperture combination. Anyone else used this gadget and found adjustment was needed?

Re: AF Microadjustment

Originally posted by Lambourne View Post
    Benn looking at my 24-105 with 5D MkII with this Lens Align Tool

Found I had a front focus issue at the recommended maximum focal length/aperture combination. Anyone else used this gadget and found adjustment was needed?

Use a newspaper, it's cheaper.

Comment

Although I have AF Microadjustment on my bodies, you would think that paying over £1,000 for a body and a similar amount for a lens, that the autofocus would work without a lot of tinkering about from me!

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Yes you would, but having had issues inthe past where I had to send to Canon, I confirm issues can arise, noticably with me where I focussed on a groom's tie only to find him and the bride soft but perfectly sharp balloons behind them. Mr Crossley's comment seems "garbage" to me - reference one of his previous posts and the fact I already own the tool. The basis of the theory is that the adjustment can differ over time due to wear on the AF mechanism.

Dialling in +6 on the AF gave the necessary spot on focus, whereas my 100mm macro need no adjustment at all.

Comment

you would think that paying over £1,000 for a body and a similar amount for a lens, that the autofocus would work without a lot of tinkering about from me!
          I would agree with that, when I buy a lens, I test it, if it's not right I send it straight back to where it bought it.
          I'm not anti adjustment tools or anything, I just beleive they should leave the factory tested and corrected, if correction is required.

Trev

Comment

Why are you making AF Micro adjustments on a zoom lens?

I have never found I needed to do this, it makes sense to do so on purpose like setting back focus from the tip of the nose to the eyes for portraits..

And I have found my primes are all spot on.. I ensure my gear all go in for service at regular intervals, and thus this is done as part of this..
            Canon 1DX Canon EOS 1D Mark 1V Canon EOS 7D Mk 11 EOS 5D Canon EF800mm f5.6 IS Canon EF500mm f4 Mark 11 Canon EF400mm f4 IS DO EF300 f2.8 IS Canon EF 200mm f2 IS Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS Canon EF100mm IS F2.8 Canon EF24-70 F2.8 Canon EF16-35 f4 Mk11 Canon EF15mm Fisheye Canon 1.4 tele converter 111 Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Comment

Working...
            X