Photo with Bad Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo with Bad Noise

I took this photo this morning but for some reason it has ‘bad noise’ on it.

Camera Settings:

F8
    ISO 1000
    1/1000 Sec
    TV
    Al Servo
    Shutter Priority

Why has it got a lot of ‘bad noise’ on the train that I cannot get rid off?

D1935 and D1944 by Colin Wallace, on Flickr
    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

The picture looks absolutely grand to me viewing from a phone. There doesn't seem to be any noise at all. Maybe because it's viewed in a smaller format, I'm not sure.

I'm assuming you have a camera that can cope with quite high ISO this would be my first guess. That maybe the iso was too high. My camera is quite old so when I'm shooting at 1000 iso upwards, there's alot more noise in the image than when ive used my Sony on say 2000 iso for the same image.

A friend also told me that occasionally when shooting something that is very hot, the camera can pick up a bit noise in the image. We once went out and photographed some fire spinning and some of my images were full of noise at low ISO and he said he'd seen that happen when photographing something hot. Maybe the train has good amount of heat in it from the engines and that's what's causing the noise, especially if its only limited to the subject and not the rest of the image.

I'm in no way a pro at this so I'm just throwing my ideas into the ring. Hopefully somebody here has a definitive answer for you

Either way, it's a lovely image Colin great work!

Comment

Looks fine to me Colin, I viewed it on flickr and I'm guessing you have cropped the image quite a lot - if this is the case it is a consequence of heavy cropping.
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Hi Colin. I have sent you a PM. But looking at the picture on here it looks fine to me. I tend to agree with Bill it could be down to the crop.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Sorry Colin but at the size shown I can't see any obvious noise.

Like the shot though.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you all for your reply.

I must admit too, this size photo looks better than the original size.

Maybe it had something to do with the shower. I will be going to the station again this week to take a few photos of any train at the same settings to see what happens.
            Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
            X