Unwanted EOSR settings changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwanted EOSR settings changes

Over the past couple of weeks my EOSR has suddenly started to randomly change menu settings

I was out last Tuesday and on two occasions when I went to take a shot it was on timer, each time I had to reset it back to single shot. It had also changed the format from CRAW + large JPEG to CRAW +S2 (smallest JPEG), metering from evaluative to spot and aspect ratio from Full to 4x3. It did this at a random point during the day, on one pic it is normal and the next has two side bars to indicate 4:3

All settings were put back to what I wanted later when I found out what had happened

Today while out it happened again although not noticed until I got home when reviewing the pics. This time it was just the image quality that abruptly changed from CRAW + large JPEG to CRAW only, no JPEG. This occurred within 1 minute as the pic taken at 11.29 had JPEG and the one at 11.30 and there after are CR3 only (I’ve checked the SD card).

Up until now there has not been a problem with the camera so I am perplexed as to what on earth is going on.

Has anyone else had similar issues? I know that there have been posts in the past about this on the EOSR and RP. Has it happen to any of you with the more recent R series cameras?

Ian

Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

It’s not happened on my R6 or R when I had it. Have you taken the battery out, not just relied on USB charging as that might help reset it properly…just a thought.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I've just bought a pair of duracell batteries to replace a pair of canon batteries that are now at the end of their life. The R has a grip fitted that had used one canon battery and one duracell battery; this issue I now have is coincident with the use of the duracell battery, but I can't see how it could have caused it. Maybe I need to try removing the grip and do some testing with both a new duracell and a recent canon battery. I'm going to some gardens to take pics tomorrow so we see what happens.

Ian
      Ian

Comment

Just to add to this I got the R5. Got it set for CRaw and S2. On two occasions It’s failed to record to CRaw on another to S2. Both time I checked the setting and they were correct as I had set them —- Strange.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

This may not be relevant but a while back my 650D suddenly changed from recording RAW to small JPEG mid shoot only I didn't notice until I got home. I also discovered some raw files were corrupted or hadn't recorded at all. I eventually concluded it was down to the card being faulty as it hasn't happened since I put a new card in. Have you had any issues with file corruption or recording failures?
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone.

An update for you. Went to the Gardens (posted two sets of pics) and did not have any problems this time. The EOSR was without the normal grip and had one of the new duracells fitted; the SD card was unchanged. I'll keep an eye how it goes and let you know any further developments.

One other thing, I had to go and get the sensor cleaned on the EOSR yesterday as I had noticed a spot had appeared on the pics plumb centre horizontally and a little way down from the top. I only change the lens when it's switched off and the shutter is closed so I have no idea how it got there. Never had a problem with the 5DIII and still haven't with the 80D. Hopefully things will settle down now for a bit.

Ian
            Ian

Comment

Working...
            X