Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions

I am currently looking for a new camera to upgrade from my original 7D.
    torn between 5D MKiv or R7.
    Mainly for wildlife and family shots
    What's your thoughts

Alan
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

I would guess it could come down to how much EF glass you have invested in.
    If you have a lot and don't want to change them, then it comes down to if you are happy using a lens mount adaptor to keep using them on the mirrorless body. If I had lots of EF glass I'd be inclined to go with the 5D. 'Tis why I'm sticking to Full frame DSLR's for the moment.
    If you are happy to start buying new glass then I would suggest the R7 would be the logical upgrade.....It's the future you know
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

The 5D4 is of course full frame and the 7D APS-C....that difference is significant, are your lenses going to be ok for changing to full frame?

If so I'd go for full frame if you want better low noise performance. 5D4 has excellent auto focus but I suspect the R7 is a bit better. Have you considered the R6 - full frame, excellent autofocus but probably not as good as R7....R6 at HDEW is £1899, bit more than 5D4 at £1500....R7 £1249.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Not wanting to buy new lenses at the moment prices on HDEW are very good and I've used them a lot in the past, the warranties are superb and repairs carried out in the UK with no problems at all.
        my main issues are.
        5D mkiv with my lenses or R7 with adapter and my lenses.
        Would I be better buying the new technology.
        slightly put off by the R7 having no vertical grip available but it's not a deal breaker.
        i have 2 L lenses 100mmf2.8L and 300mm f4L
        Which set up would give the best images.
        might be down to full frame or aps-c

Alan
        Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Campbell View Post
          Not wanting to buy new lenses at the moment prices on HDEW are very good and I've used them a lot in the past, the warranties are superb and repairs carried out in the UK with no problems at all.
          my main issues are.
          5D mkiv with my lenses or R7 with adapter and my lenses.
          Would I be better buying the new technology.
          slightly put off by the R7 having no vertical grip available but it's not a deal breaker.
          i have 2 L lenses 100mmf2.8L and 300mm f4L
          Which set up would give the best images.
          might be down to full frame or aps-c

Alan
          As you have EF glass and not EF-S glass I'd plump for the Full frame 5D Mk4 if it were my money.
          Or as Brian said, investigate the Full frame mirrorless R6 and use the lens adaptor with your current glass.

Whichever way you go,I think you would see benefits with a full frame sensor over a crop sensor on either mirrorless or DSLR .

Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

5D4 is about 30 megapixels, R6 is only 20….R7 is in between…..you might perceive more detail from the 5D4 if you are going to print large enough….or if you want to crop your images….but you can always upscale which cleverly brings back resolution
            if you do go full frame then you won’t have that extra virtual reach of APS-C that you are used to.
            having said that if you were to crop a 5D4 file in post processing to an APS-C equivalent crop then what size file do you end up with…is it 30MP/1.6..18MP……that’s less than R7 output….on that basis R7 might be the best for you.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I've just watched an EOS TRAINING ACADEMY video by Nina Bailey on the R7, and I am now edging towards an R7.
              one of the issues I need to check out is the lack of vertical grip, so I need to get hands on to see how it feels in the hand.
              The AF system does look impressive

Alan

Comment

Working...
              X