Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Portrait HELP!

Hi forum,

I am a fairly new photographer with a 60D, I have foolishly agreed to take some snaps of my frends 6 month old baby. I wanted some advice on what settings to use. Never taken photos like this before... Not charging but i still want to do a good job in Manual mode...

I have a 60d, efs 17 -85mm lens and a 50mm, with a canon 420ez flash (I know its an old one) will be taking these in doors in there home...... Helppp...

Any tips or prefered settings that will help me would be most appriciated.

Thanks
    Gary.

PS i'll post my results

Re: Baby Portrait HELP!

I would use your 50mm lens set to f2 with a shutter speed of at least 1/50th second. Keep WB & ISO on auto. Good luck! :-)
    Regards Eddie.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hey, thanks for that, Should i use the flash? How to i keep the ISO on auto?

Gary

Comment

Put the baby right by the window in bright daylight instead of flash. Keep iso down to 400 or less

If by the window - not in the sunlight
        ef-r

Comment

Thanks, shall give it my best shot, pardon the pun!

Comment

Hi guys, well the photoshoot went well. From my point of view it was good experience..

As promised here are two of the many hundred taken, i am proposing to sent these to the family, however would like to edit them in photoshop and would welcome your opinions on the pics and editing if need be.

Thanks.

Photo One

Photo Two

Your comments are most welcome.

Gary

Comment

Great shots Gary. I think you have done a very good job on both these. I can't really tell from the size of these photos but it looks as though you have good focus on the eyes and have some lovely catchlights in them too. If I was extremely picky I may question the area in the top right hand side in #1 where I think I can see a radiator, but it seems well enough out of focus. But I would be proud of these shots and because of the subject I wouldn't be rejecting them. Well done

I think using natural light can be much better than a single flash mounted on your camera.

What specifically did you want to do in PS?

Graydon
              Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
              EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Graydon.

Comment

My first baby is coming in december. I wish I will be taking pics like this. Very nice Gary.
                  If not, I know who to call ;)

Best regards, rutger
                  Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
                  EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

Working...
                  X