Other photography journals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other photography journals

I had been a subscriber of "Practical Photography" for a few years, but unfortunately, the journal ceased publication due to Covid-19-related issues. I looked for an alternative and subscribed to "Digital Photographer" for more than a year. However, I did not find this magazine to my liking. I use photos in a magazine to seek inspiration, but I did not enjoy the photos or topics of this publication, so I decided to unsubscribe. Can you please recommend any other photo journals? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

How about EOS Magazine???

Comment

Agree with David. The only time I see any other photographic magazine is a quick look in the doctors or dentist waiting room. Then they seem to be full of adverts and reviews.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I 3rd the above. EOS magazine!
        I've actually been reading through all the back issues available on the app. I'm finding loads of inspiration from them, especially the ones around early 2000s as that's when the camera I use came out.

I've also got a few old (film) Eos magazines left behind by my grandad that I've been reading through, and the inspiration from them is great as well.

Outside of magazines, could try the likes of flikr, blipfoto, lomography for inspiration.

Comment

I actually stopped my subscription to EOS mag when Canon brought out the mirrorless range.
          After that it seemed that the mag just concentrated on mirrorless.
          Instead I started buying back issues and some of the books/guides that they produced.
          Aswell as paying for the dedicated video guide to my camera. (Quite funny, every time Nina said some photographers struggle with this, that was me!!!)

Comment

I thought you had to be a subscriber to the EOS Magazine to be a member of this Forum. Be interesting to know how many subscribe to the magazine and how many members there is on the Forum.
            Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Have you looked at Amateur Photographer... it's probably about the nearest thing to Practical Photographer though I suspect it's a bit less technical than it was.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                I thought you had to be a subscriber to the EOS Magazine to be a member of this Forum. Be interesting to know how many subscribe to the magazine and how many members there is on the Forum.
                Shall I get my coat?

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

I check every application to delete spammers (about 50% of those applying!), but otherwise the forum is open to all. However, you need to be an EOS magazine subscriber to take advantage of the Forum Classified section.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I do get what you're saying DEG5Y about the mirrorless content. I don't shoot with a mirrorless, my Canon is a 40d so it's practically vintage now . But I still find most of the content relevant. All the tips and tricks can be transferred through all cameras.

Will have to look into that dedicated video guide though, never seen that before

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post

I check every application to delete spammers (about 50% of those applying!), but otherwise the forum is open to all. However, you need to be an EOS magazine subscriber to take advantage of the Forum Classified section.
                      Thanks for that Robert - keep up the good work
                      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Daisy M, Trev B, NathCarr91: It goes without saying that I am a subscriber of the EOS magazine and have been, practically, since its conception! However, being a "magazineworm" (analogous to "bookworm"), so I have been looking for a monthly journal, to bridge the time gaps between EOS mag issues.

DEG5Y: I also feel that the EOS mag focuses excessively on mirrorless. I have no intention of acquiring a mirrorless camera, at present; my EOS 5D MK IV is complex enough for me and I don't need the extra functions of a mirrorless body that I am unlikely to ever use. On top of this, I own about 10 various EF glass pieces that I would have to use with a mount adaptor which would outbalance the lightweight advantage. In my estimation, the largest number of EOS mag readers are still using DSLRs* and quite a number even film cameras. I think that the EOS mag should provide more reading material for these readers.

El Sid: Thank you. I will check this out.

*I suggest that EOS mag conduct a survey as to the camera types its readers are using.
                        EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

I must admit that while it does very much feel like the EOS mag is over centred on mirrorless one has to consider that there is nothing new in the world of EOS DSLRs to talk about; no new cameras, no new features, nothing... As it stands the EOS DSLR has gone as far as it's going and the future has no mirror - any radically new techniques are inevitably going to be be based on mirrorless tech and that's the way of it.

Beyond that there's still plenty of features about photography in general that apply to all to keep me happy at any rate.

Thinking back I seem to remember similar comments flying around as digital replaced film...
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
                            .......... my Canon is a 40d so it's practically vintage now
                            And it's still a damn good camera! - I get mine out now and again for a play (that sounds like an Eric Morecombe line , but you know what I mean).

John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post

And it's still a damn good camera! - I get mine out now and again for a play (that sounds like an Eric Morecombe line , but you know what I mean).
                              Haha it certainly does john, made me chuckle a little anyway so thanks for that

You're right, I absolutely love it. I'll never change it. If it ever gave up the ghost I'd get another one. They're so cheap now too. My partner paid £100 for body only from Camera World. It's in great condition and came with a few extra bits like eye cups and screen covers etc. Absolute bargain it was, and I've never looked back. Had it 3 years now and it's serving me very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X