Canon 10-18mm f4/5.6 is STM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 10-18mm f4/5.6 is STM

Wondering if to go down this road some used kicking about,if someone has it or had it in the past
    really appreciate any feed back.
    George.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

I love this lens, but unfortunately it was one of the two that were stolen earlier in the week. Close ups are good as well as the wide angle. As you say plenty of cheap secondhand ones around, I have just got one in excellent condition from Wex

Comment

Many thanks for your feedback sorry to hear about the theft,pleased you have got sorted.
      CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

I have one of these. I bought mine secondhand and have been very impressed with it's performance.
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Many thanks for your response still dithering on it would be used, as mentioned to David plenty used kicking about.
          Just wanted to be sure especially with it being a wide angle.
          Not really ventured down the landscape route before.

Comment

Warning; wide angle can be addictive!...

The trick with wide angle lenses is make sure you have plenty of foreground interest otherwise you can end up with a lot of empty space with all the interesting subject matter lost way into the background.

Here's a couple of mine taken with said lens...

West Stoke Church
            by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

Harbour View 01
            by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

Both of these at 10mm.

Note how much foreground there is in the second shot which if it weren't for the post, rocks and cloud reflections would be awfully empty.
            Nigel

Comment

Yes the very aspect a friend was indicating ,making sure the foreground was taken care of.
              Many thanks for your kind input.

GEORGE.

Comment

The 10-18mm is stm lens on its way boxed mint from Clemens Cameras Bodmin Cornwall,finally pulled the trigger.
                George.

Comment

I agree with Nigel, wide angle can be really addictive. I use my 18-55 on my 35mm film camera at 18mm all the time, it's so wide that I actually get a round ring around the edges of the image (just the barrel of the lens) but I love it.
                  I use the same lens on my 40d but it's Aps-c so it's closer to 30mm equivalent so not the same effect unfortunately

Comment

Hi thank you for your interest just really starting to dabble into landscapes really a birding guy had the white L 400mm,but now in what they call
                    declining years have moved that on.
                    Saw there seemed a lot of interest on the forum with this lens,have checked it out and thought why not.
                    Really got to stay local so will see how it pans out.
                    GEORGE.

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
                      I agree with Nigel, wide angle can be really addictive. I use my 18-55 on my 35mm film camera at 18mm all the time, it's so wide that I actually get a round ring around the edges of the image (just the barrel of the lens) but I love it.
                      I use the same lens on my 40d but it's Aps-c so it's closer to 30mm equivalent so not the same effect unfortunately
                      I assume it's not a Canon EFs lens then? None of my EF-s lenses will mount on my full frame camera...

I used to have an old 18-50 Sigma APS format lens which would fit my film bodies, down to 24mm it would fill the entire 35mm frame but below that image circle was too small to cover the entire are so the image would go black in the corners - I imagine that's what you're seeing with your lens.
                      Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post

I assume it's not a Canon EFs lens then? None of my EF-s lenses will mount on my full frame camera...

I used to have an old 18-50 Sigma APS format lens which would fit my film bodies, down to 24mm it would fill the entire 35mm frame but below that image circle was too small to cover the entire are so the image would go black in the corners - I imagine that's what you're seeing with your lens.
                        You're right, it's a sigma 18-55 got it with my film cameras, and does exactly what you say. About 24mm it fills the frame and lower than that I get a circular image. I really love the effect to be honest. It's something different. I'll scan some negatives in one day and post up the results.

I've got the Canon 18-55 EFs lens but never actually tried to mount in onto my eos 3 or 50e film camera I just use it with my 40D along with my 50mm 1.8. I use the 50mm all the time on my eos film camera, that mounts ok
                        Last edited by NathCarr91; 29-09-2023, 17:01.

Comment

This thread made me also pull the trigger on buying the same lens. Been looking at it and others for a while. The comments and reviews made me do it lol

El Sid ive seen your images above before and never asked… what are they? its like somethings missing or something extra, I cant figure it out. Its not just black and white!
                          Steve

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns ;)

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post

You're right, it's a sigma 18-55 got it with my film cameras, and does exactly what you say. About 24mm it fills the frame and lower than that I get a circular image. I really love the effect to be honest. It's something different. I'll scan some negatives in one day and post up the results.
                            That'd be interesting to see. Can't remember the last time I shot film...

I've got the Canon 18-55 EFs lens but never actually tried to mount in onto my eos 3 or 50e film camera I just use it with my 40D along with my 50mm 1.8. I use the 50mm all the time on my eos film camera, that mounts ok
                            Don't bother trying, the lens mount of the EF-s series lenses extends further back into the mirror box than standard EF lenses and fouls the inside of it preventing physical attachment. Even of you could mount it chances are the mirror would hit it when you tried to take a picture.

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by Glezga View Post
                              This thread made me also pull the trigger on buying the same lens. Been looking at it and others for a while. The comments and reviews made me do it lol

El Sid ive seen your images above before and never asked… what are they? its like somethings missing or something extra, I cant figure it out. Its not just black and white!
                              Indeed it's not just black and white...

It's actually Infra-red. The two images were both taken with my IR converted 650D which is equipped with a 720nm IR filter in place of the original IR blocking filter - as a result the camera records almost exclusively in the near infrea-red with only a tiny amount of normal light getting through. I leave the camera set to monochrome but the colour originals usually come out from reddish orange to a sort of mauve-ish colour depending on the lighting & weather conditions...
                              Nigel

Comment

Working...
                              X