Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS R6 mkII or R7 camera ?

Hi everyone

I have been a member here since 2009, some of you may remember me.
    I have developed several health issues; firstly my spinal condition which I've had for 20+ years which makes walking painful and lifting difficult.
    In the past 18 months I have also been diagnosed with COPD, heart disease, diabetes, a stomach complaint and pain in my lower rib area which has not been diagnosed yet.

I have been away from photography for a while but have never lost the interest.
    Finances have been difficult and I have been without a camera for too long.
    I sold my last Canon kit a few years ago (2019/2020) and spotted a great deal on a Canon 5D mkIV and lenses, bought it (bank transfer) but it was a scam and I lost my money.

Sadly my mother passed away a month ago.
    When her estate is settled in a few months time I will get my share of the inheritance.
    I want to buy some camera gear that will memorise my mother every time I go out. She knew I was passionate about photography.
    Taking some photos was a passion of mine and I will be able to take photos and say "thank you" to my dear mum for allowing me to return to my hobby.

I have been looking at the 'R' range of cameras and the 'RF' range of lenses.
    I have already made a short list of lenses but undecided on the camera.
    My shortlist for lenses are the Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS and the Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS (maybe a wider lens too).
    Which camera do you recommend ?
    Canon EOS R6 mkII or R7 camera are on my shortlist for a camera but I'm open to suggestions.
    Full-frame or crop ?
    I really enjoyed using the Canon EOS 5D mkII and the Canon EOS 7D (and 7D mkII) in the past.
    The new mirrorless range is completely new to me as are the RF lenses.

I have looked back at my photographs.
    The 5D mkII took some cracking images but when the 7D was launched (about 2009/2010) it was a no brainer to swap.
    I loved the 7D and preferred it to the 7D mkII, images were better with the 7D, using the camera was better in my hands (more natural), everything was better.
    Yet looking back at the images with the 5D mkII (full-frame) they were slightly better than with the 7D (crop camera).

My interests are
    1. wildlife
    2. macro
    3. landscape

So which camera would you recommend the Canon EOS R6 mkII or R7 camera or something else ?
    My budget for a camera is up to £2500, hopefully there will be offers or cash back offers early next year.

Thank you
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Hi Stephen

Good to hear from you again and sorry to hear of all the difficulties you have encountered since the Forum last heard from you.

I remember you had a preference for wildlife and see you are thinking of the RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS. The R7 looks a good bet and may be more portable for you than the R6 mkii.

I'm in a similar situation wondering whether to move over to an R camera or soldier on with my 6D, which I love, and my M5 for those times I don't want to carry too much.
    I have a far amount invested in EF lenses and the R series aren't cheap.

I really just wanted to say hello again!

Best wishes
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Hi Stephen. Good to hear from you, sorry about your health problems.
      With regards to gear and being in the main a wildlife photographer I would go for the R6 Mkll and the RF100-500mm
      I suppose in the end it all comes down to £-s & p but it is a cracking combo
      Keep in touch, stay positive and focused.
      All the best
      Trev

Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thank you Bob & Trev for your replies.
        It'll be good to be back.

flickr

Comment

I was also thinking if I went with the R7 camera then I'll need a 15mm zoom lens.
          The 24-105mm would be like having a 38-168mm on the R7 and I would need a 15-65mm to get the equivalent wide angle as the 24-105mm on the R6 mkII.
          The weight of the R6 mkII is less than half the weight of my previous 7D mkII.
          The weight of the Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS is approx 200g less than my previous Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS and the Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS is only approx 30g more than my previous Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS. So the total weight should not be an issue as I'll be carrying approx 415g less with the R6 mkII and 2 lenses.

flickr

Comment

Hi Stephen,
            Sorry to here of your loss and your health issues.
            I agree with Trev, I have a R6m2 and I’m very pleased with it, albeit with the EF 100-400 instead as it’s a lens that I already had. It’s a very versatile camera.

Ian
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well welcome back Stephen, sorry to read about your health issue. I can't help with your choice. Of camera and kit but I'm sure others will be able to advise you on which may be best for your requirements. Take care.
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thank you Ian & Peter for your replies.

flickr

Comment

IFWIW, just upgraded my wife’s gear to an R7 with the 18-150 kit lens and the RF 100-400 and she’s very pleased with it. Shoots lots of wildlife and it seems a good combination for that. The only drawback is that the R7 is about as common as rocking horse… Well you get the picture…
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Hi Stephen, of course I remember you . I am sorry for your loss, and to hear about your problems, but hope you can look forward to a brighter future.
                    After decades of using DSLRs (300d, 30d, 7d, 7d ll, 5d3, and 5d4) I recently made the move to mirrorless. I wanted stay with a Full Frame camera, so the R7 was not an option. The R5 was just too expensive, and with an unnecessarily high Pixel Count. So I opted for the R6 ll.
                    Having sold, or traded the 5d4, EF 24-105L, EF 100-400L ll, and EF 1.4x lll extender, I bought the R6 ll, RF 24-105L, RF 100-500L, and RF 1.4x extender.
                    An expensive exercise, but making use of Canon’s summer cashback promotion, I got £950 back, which eased the pain a little (lol).
                    The 5d4 was always going to be a hard act to follow, being in my opinion, the best camera canon ever made. Early days yet, but the R6 ll is looking promising. It’s smaller, and lighter than the 5d4, which is welcome. Looking at a digital display in the view finder, does take some getting used to, and being honest I much preferred looking through the lens with the DSLR. However, mirrorless is the future, and we have to adapt.
                    The R6 ll is quite a complex “beast”, and the fact that it doesn’t come with a user manual, is about as much help as a “Chocolate Fireguard”. You can of course download the manual from Canon, and print it off, but it’s a lot of pages!!. I bought the recently published R6 ll book, by David Busch, which although some of which is “teaching granny to suck eggs”, it gave me all the important info about the camera I needed.
                    It is too early to say if the RF lenses are any better that the EF lenses, but they haven’t disappointed as yet.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by Dave_S; 02-10-2023, 16:15. Reason: Typo
                    Dave

Comment

Thank you Andy & Dave.

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                      Hope this helps.
                      Dave that does help, thank you.

flickr

Comment

Good to have you back Stephan, can't help with your decision but wish you success with whatever option you choose to go with.
                        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thank you Bill

flickr

Comment

I am in the process of ordering .. well I'm going through the motions (preparing myself) :-
                            Canon EOS R6 mkII camera + Canon RF 24-105mm f4L IS USM Lens (kit)
                            Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L IS USM Lens
                            Canon RF 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens
                            + spare Canon LP-E6NH battery
                            + 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Memory Cards

I hope I'm doing the right thing ...
                            All the above items will come from Canon (UK)

flickr

Comment

Welcome back, sorry to hear that things have not been going so well, here's hoping things will improve.

We look forward to hearing how you get on with the new kit. I keep umming and aahing about the R series so will be interested in how you find it.
                              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                              X