Camera bag recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera bag recommendations please

I'm just getting back in to the photography hobby.
    The camera gear is on order but I need a bag to keep it all in.

What do I have ?
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II Body
    Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L IS Lens
    Canon RF 24-105mm f4L IS USM Lens
    Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS (will order soon)
    spare Canon LP-E6NH Battery
    4 x 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Memory Cards

I still have my old Tamrac shoulder bag and my Lowepro holder bag. (probably have some clothes and other stuff too)
    What I want is a shoulder bag to carry the above camera body and lenses (plus the extras).

Any suggestions appreciated

Thank you
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

I would think very carefully before you invest in a dedicated camera bag. Not a good idea in this day and age to walk around advertising you are carrying a load of photograph equipment. Best get a cheap Ex military camo daypack/backpack and just pad it out or just an ordinary small rucksack.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Insurance is the next thing on my list.

flickr

Comment

That's some really sound advice from Trev. Even the insurance company's say the same thing too. That being said I walk around with my manfrotto bag all the time and never been bothered (touch wood) which I would recommend as a really good spacious backpack, that's doesn't make you sore carrying it all day. I'll get the model name later on (I think it's been superceded by another one now but might be available second hand)

A friend of mine actually unpicked the stitching from the embroidered logos and badges on his camera bags so they just look like normal bags so that's an idea if you wanted to get a dedicated bag but look incognito.

​​​​​The trouble is, if you're carrying around a tripod, people are going to know you've got camera equipment with you regardless of the bag anyway unless you're planning on carrying that inside a bag also.

Comment

Shoulder bags come with a restriction of what they can hold also see you are togging up with 100-500mmL,
          would think the backpack would be the way to go.
          CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

I prefer a shoulder bag due to my disability, back packs are generally a no.
            I believe I still have my old Tamrac shoulder bag and my Lowepro holster bag in the loft.
            I might make do with them but thought a nice new bag would be nicer.

I tend to keep the main shoulder bag in the car (covered up) and transfer the camera and main lens to the holster bag (again due to my disability) and before I leave.
            My wife is always with me (or I'm meeting up with someone).
            I can't walk far (due to my disability) so hire a mobility scooter where available at zoos or nature parks. I therefore don't go off the beaten track (because I can't).
            My wife is great in carrying my bag when needed, I often just have the camera & lens wrapped around my neck with an Op/Tech neoprene strap.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
              Insurance is the next thing on my list.
              Insurance sorted.

flickr

Comment

I just realized you were looking for a side strap bag (shoulder bag) I've got a billingham shoulder back, that packs an insane amount of room. I've got 2 eos film bodies, 1 AV1, 2 lenses, loads of film, shutter release and pockets books, camera charger, batteries etc in there with room to spare. It more my storage bag now.

They're not cheap though, that's the only downside. But comfy to wear. I don't really use the shoulder bags that much because I do find after a while, they start to dig in to my shoulder a bit, I find all do that. But if you're looking for a comfy shoulder bag that looks relatively inconspicuous with loads of room. Billingham could be the way to go. Mines an older one now but very similar to the Hadley pro.

Comment

Thanks Nath

flickr

Comment

Welcome back, glad you're still snapping !

I'm sure you will love the R6 especially with the 100-500, its a fab combo

For your bag, you might check out the TENBA BYOB range

BYOB stands for "bring your own bag" and it is a nice padded bag that goes inside your own favourite shoulder bag or rucksack. There are 2 types- one with a top zip for a shoulder bag, and the backpack insert that goes inside a rucksack and has a side-ish zip.
                    They come in different sizes - their website gives dimensions and various You Tube videos show what they will hold

And of course as they fit inside your own bag it doesn't scream "Expensive Photo Stuff in here " !
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thank you Bo

flickr

Comment

I ventured in to the loft this evening and found.
                        Tamrac 5608 Pro8 camera bag (used)
                        Lowepro Nova 180 AW II Camera Bag (new)
                        Benro CWZ40 Cool Walker Zoom Bag (new)
                        Lowepro 200 AW ProTactic Shoulder Bag (new)
                        Lowepro Toploader Pro AW II (new)

I've kept them in a large plastic container (with lid) and they are as good as the day I packed them away (4 years ago).
                        I wil sell the top 3 above and keep the bottom 2.

I have put my new R6 mkII and new RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L in to the Lowepro Toploader; the 24-105mm f/4L in to the Lowepro 200 AW ProTactic Shoulder Bag (and accessories).
                        All ready for a day out at Slimbridge WWT tomorrow (Tuesday).​

flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X