Canon R6 mkII help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon R6 mkII help needed.

Yesterday (Tuesday 17/10/23) I visited Slimbridge WWT with my new Canon R6 mkII + RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L.
    I joined as a member as I plan to make other visits in the next year including other sites.
    I also hired a mobility scotter as my mobility is restricted.
    All good so far.

The Canon R6 mkII camera was as default except I used Av (aperture-priority) as my initial setting.
    I took several photos.
    I then changed to Tv (shutter-priority) and took more photos.

I noticed that the focal point was searching and not always on the part of the subject (wildfowl) that I wished.
    I looked at the settings and switched from whole area (lots of AF points) to a more spot area hoping this would help.
    Bear in mind I have not used a camera for around 4 years, hopefully things haven't changed that much and the basics are still the same.
    I took 178 photos, all in RAW format.

On returning home I had to download DPP 1.18.10 to view the RAW images.
    I was very disappointed as almost every image appeared out of focus.
    I am so disappointed as to feel like giving up photography and selling this new equipment that I've owned for only 12 days.

Any help/tips appreciated.
    What am I doing wrong ?
    Surely things haven't changed that much.

I've just ordered Canon EOS R6 Mark II Pocketbook by Nina Bailey from the EOS Magazine shop, hopefully that will help.​
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

My favourite is bird photography and having been with Ron a couple of times i would recommend watching his youtube channel which is where I set up focusing as he did on my R5

Whistling wings photography

Also on youtube search wildlife with Olly his 12 min video is on the R6mk2 with 100-500

Also Fabian Fopp. R6 set up guide

Alan
    Last edited by Alan_H; 18-10-2023, 18:58.

Comment

Thanks Alan
      Can you remind me who Ron is please ?
      I'll take a look at those videos.

Stephen

flickr

Comment

It's good you are back on the photographic scene again Stephen.

Comment

Stephen, Can’t help with your problem, I use the R5. You say you had the camera twelve days before you went to Slimbridge,
          did you not give it a good testing. With new gear before I went on a specific shoot I would Have photographed the hind leg of the cat, the kitchen sink and everything in between to make sure the camera and myself knew what we were doing.
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I had problems with my R6 and the same lens at an airshow....since then I take the UV filter off and that seemed to help.
            Lots of people appear to have problems with auto focus.....there are so many setting in the latest cameras including focus case etc....facebook groups for the R6 are full of posts of this nature, might be worth having a look....I'm sure Nina's book will help -I bought one for my R6 and found it very useful.
            Dont give up!.....I'm sure you will find your way through this find joy in photography again.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

My flickr has lots of action shots....all the latest with the R6 and 100-500......Ill share my settings if you wish.
              In case I miss your response on here feel free to email me brianvickers2010@gmail.com
              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by Wrinklyrocker View Post
                It's good you are back on the photographic scene again Stephen.
                Thanks Chris.
                We'll have to meet up again sometime.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                  Stephen, Can’t help with your problem, I use the R5. You say you had the camera twelve days before you went to Slimbridge,
                  did you not give it a good testing. With new gear before I went on a specific shoot I would Have photographed the hind leg of the cat, the kitchen sink and everything in between to make sure the camera and myself knew what we were doing.
                  Thanks Trev
                  No I didn't give it a good testing, I just assumed things would work as with previous cameras; how wrong I was.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
                    I had problems with my R6 and the same lens at an airshow....since then I take the UV filter off and that seemed to help.
                    Lots of people appear to have problems with auto focus.....there are so many setting in the latest cameras including focus case etc....facebook groups for the R6 are full of posts of this nature, might be worth having a look....I'm sure Nina's book will help -I bought one for my R6 and found it very useful.
                    Dont give up!.....I'm sure you will find your way through this find joy in photography again.
                    ​My flickr has lots of action shots....all the latest with the R6 and 100-500......Ill share my settings if you wish.
                    In case I miss your response on here feel free to email me brianvickers2010@gmail.com
                    Thanks Brian

flickr

Comment

Ron Bielefeld is Whistling wings Photography based in Florida, he has a really good web site and a video channel on youtube

Alan

Comment

I originally posted back in October and have not been out with the camera since.

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                        Yesterday (Tuesday 17/10/23) I visited Slimbridge WWT with my new Canon R6 mkII + RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L.
                        On returning home I had to download DPP 1.18.10 to view the RAW images.
                        I was very disappointed as almost every image appeared out of focus.
                        I am so disappointed as to feel like giving up photography and selling this new equipment that I've owned for only 12 days.

Any help/tips appreciated.
                        What am I doing wrong ?
                        Surely things haven't changed that much.

I've just ordered Canon EOS R6 Mark II Pocketbook by Nina Bailey from the EOS Magazine shop, hopefully that will help.​
                        The camera is just sat there (and the pocket book) and bugging me.
                        I don't know if the settings are wrong or what.
                        Previously (7D & EF lenses) when using "L" lenses with the OS turned on I could hear the OS engaging but back in October (R6mkII & RF "L" lenses) I heard nothing.
                        I bought the camera & lenses from reputable UK companies so they're not grey imports.
                        As I previously described "almost every image appeared out of focus" but also there was like a secondary image (ghosting) which I don't understand.
                        I've only tried the RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L IS lens with the Canon EOS R6 Mark II Digital Camera, I've not tried the Canon RF 24-105mm f4L IS lens yet.
                        This is bugging me, big time.

Do I turn the camera's OS off and use the lens's OS or use both ?
                        Should I hear the OS engaging ?
                        Can someone be so kind to give me some basic setting for taking photos of swans, ducks etc.. on a pond.

Thank you

​​

flickr

Comment

You need the lens IS switched to ON, that engages the internal camera IBIS as well. The lens range setting is eether Full or I think 3m to infinity....so that needs to be set to get quick focussing.
                          You should be ok with shutter sppeds down to say 1/250 with the IS on.
                          Also is there a DLO setting.....digital lens optimiser.....that can slow things down so switch it off.
                          Mine missed focus at an airshow soon after I had mine (MkI)...so advice was to take the UV filter off....been fine since.
                          I've not noted any sound from mine.....Im away working so cant check it.

For birds select eye auto focus and Animals and Case 2 in the AF menu

​​​​​​​hope that helps

Dont give up its probably something daft and youll kick yourself when you have it sorted.
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Thanks Brian, appreciated.

flickr

Comment

Decided the R6mkII and lenses are not for me (too technical/complicated).
                              So are in the classied section of the forum.

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X